I've decided to start my season tonight with a visit to an indoor slope. But do I need thermal longjohns? This is the question on my mind.

If anybody has been to an indoor slope, can you tell me how warm I need to dress, and what the deal is with goggles. Do you need them?

SSAWS was verrrrrrry cold for me. Much colder than outside. Most people were wearing same as in the mountain. Is it big place like SSAWS?

If it's not so big, you don't need it, maybe.

Good luck!

Jelly seems to have been right, but I still have strong reservations about hydrozoan-based prediction methods.

Hmmm, indoor snowboarding. Hmmmmm. I dunno.

It wasn't actually very cold. The slope wasn't icy, but it was hard as concrete. The pipe was impressive, but I didn't venture in it. You have to get licensed to ride the pipe and jump.

I started at 9:30 pm and went on til 11:30 pm. It's a weirdly timeless feeling being in a giant fridge at those hours.

Lots of first-of-season boot pain. Did 'em up too tight at first, and the hind legs are nice and painful this morning.

I'm impressed by the enthusiasm of Ehime people for snowboarding. This is something I didn't expect. One bloke told me he drives to Gifu and Nagano in the winter 'jikan o kakete'(!)

O.K., so let's have more details. Where was this place you went to? What's it called? And how much does it cost? And, to follow up on your original question, how cold was it...how many degrees C?

It's called A-X (akurosu), and it's about 30 minutes away. It costs 2,500 yen for 2 hours and 3,000 yen for 4 hours. As for how cold it is, I dunno - cold enough to grow a dewdrop on your nose that stays there for the duration, but warm enough not to need a snowboard jacket. (If you want to know in degrees, I suggest a Google search with the string 'Ocean11 + temperature + hanamizu')

The course is long enough for one toeside turn and one heelside turn (two if you count stopping).

Next time I'll get my license to ride the funnables.

• 2 weeks later...