Txting (and how not to pass an interview)

Just reading a piece in the Sunday Times about how England is going mad on texting now. Must say, seen a lot of increase since last year. Said that one 'x' (kiss) ain't enough now and everyone is doing xxxxs.

One bloke had an interview and the interviewer gave him his address. The bloke who had the interview - a top candidate by all accounts - sent the guy a text that evening.

m8, wot a gr8 intvw!! u shld def give me the job lol

He didn't get it. Got to admit, I know it has uses of course, but texting texting heads down annoys me.

Even sadder is the fact that some students seem to think that txt speak is OK in exams at the final year of high school.

Others think that it is cool to use txt abbreviations in forums, where they canniot be sure that their message is/can be understood. In its place, that is in a text message, the abbreviations are good, but in general communication they create a difficulty that should not be there.

:rant over:

Funny.

Your level of text abbreviation literacy seems to indicate your age/or alternately your technological 'age' as well. I find it quite funny when my mother and mother in law send me texts with NON FUNNY info and end it with LOL. It made me scratch my head for a while - until I worked out they MEANT Lots of LOVE! Too funny!

Then a peer sent me a text with LOL used the same way! That was when I realised we really were not in the same generation!

Can't quite see the correlation there Mama. I am certainly in the BOF group as to age, but I am sufficiently tech young to be involved as an installer and troubleshooter as a self employed contract technician.

I do a lot of WiFi installs and survey (and correct) wifi security holes for clients.

But, I still cannot understand why a student would deliberately jeopardise their HSC results by writing an exam script in txt. That is just plain DUMB! FFS, the point of an exam script is to convince the examiner/marker that you know what you are talking about. If the meaning of what you write is not IMMEDIATELY clear to the marker, you are behind the 8 ball to start with!

No real correlation JA...just another thing I find quirky about texting.

I agree that students who do not use correct english spelling, structure and grammar in thier exams - or in interviews - or in other important situations are just plain dumb. The problem seems to be that some of them are actually growing up thinking that the TXT spelling is the correct spelling of a word! Is this because they are not gettign corrected in school in the early years? Surely they don't go through thier entire school life writing lovely perfect essays in REAL English and then go into an exam and write in TXT code! Someone is dropping the ball, but it ultimately comes back to the student.

MB, I was shocked by the poor standard of spelling and english writing in general when I left Japan for home a few years ago. I was working in a big secondary school in my home city and the level of spelling was atroshus!! wink Seriously, they thought that text spelling was ok, I really couldn't believe that and also that they simply didn't know how to spell words. I'm not that old and I can't remember it being so bad when I was at school. Whether or not the teaching styles have changed I don't know.