Interesting comment about behaviour modification brought about by safety equipment....

"These devices provide an increased chance of survival, but you should be aware of our tendency toward compensating behavior that ratchets our risk up higher than it was before we got the new toy."

> > Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't

> > mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt

> > tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can

> > be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is

> > bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Interesting to see those stats. I've long believed beacons to be both an aid and a hinderance to mountain safety.

Love the air bag idea. Everyone should be self-reliant in the mountains. If you can't look after yourself, you shouldn't be there.

If you dont like the idea of carrying a bag on your back try the Avalung, its a vest that has a mouth piece that takes the air from around your waist and distributes your used air also around your body, the idea being that the more air you breath out around your body the longer you can breath as it doesnt freeze the pocket around your face, we buried one and breathed through it for over an hour taking turns and all was well. Its still a pain when you drop into a chute with the mouth peice either flapping around your neck or in your mouth, but for travelling comfort works good.

There was this windbag at my old company who might have served the purpose, but he was fat and would have weighed things down a lot on the ascents.

I can't see wearing him around my neck on the slopes, though in my old job he was basically draped around my neck the whole time.