Please share your off-snow wisdom in any nocturnal recreation, if not carnage, to be found in Niseko. Please state location, description and your thoughts (for and/or against) each place. [Yes I confess. I am the loser who hasn't been to Niseko and, per my usual practise, I'm seeking (humbly) for a little guidance ... planning to go there soon you see] wakaranai.gif

i've only been there once, so i can't comment with any authority, but here i go anyway.

niseko pow connection have a bar set up in the back of a truck next to their chalet. its pretty small, but fun in a novelty way - its mostly full of their guests and friends

the snowave chalet has a lot of aussies hanging out there, but i only went in there once, so i don't really know

there's a place called bar rumba - the door is the front of a fridge (i think its a coke fridge), its pretty small but fun

mostly we just went somewhere for dinner when we went out, there's lots of little places everywhere.

the one place i thought was way cool was hanks, which is near fattys. its a little wood house with an open fire in the middle that hank and his brother toshi cook over while welcoming people and serving drinks

the place is tiny, the food is cooked slowly, and all they play is johnny cash and country music, but i really liked it

we never had a raging big night anywhere, so i wouldn't have a clue where the party action is

OK, so there's a sushi restaurant in Kutchan that claims to be wonderful. Would this count as not really Niseko from a resort perspective (ie. allowing only walking distance or short ride venues)?

http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~niseko1/E_home.html

Also seen "Jam" mentioned as a serious watering hole as well as "Gentem Bar" being described along the lines of a bar with exotic (Tibetian) decor. Any comments from those who know these places?

Also saw Zug Bug (?) being described as an excellent Italian restaurant ... really? ... or by default? Cos I know there are some "truly" fabulous ones in Tokyo and Osaka - as there would be.

Is there a difference between where riders and skiiers hang out or is it generally one big happy community? Just in case tho' ... where do riders tend to go?

My 2 cents ... pretty generous considering I haven't been. Please be kind in letting me know that the places I found are utterly naff ... if they are indeed so.

kutchan is about 10-15 minutes away by car or bus, i can't see you walking it. hitching was pretty easy in the day time though, and at night there is a free bus that goes to and from kutchan - i'm not sure why, but it's hourly so you have enough time to go to the supermarket or get a quick dinner i guess

there is an awesome place called "kamies" that we went to for dinner. you have to book, there's no menu, just 7 courses - mostly japanese food, but also the best pasta i have ever had in my life. brilliant. it's pretty out of the way, and i don't think you'll find it by yourself - one of the guys from pow connection booked us in

heres the fridge-door bar -- looks more like its called "Gyu" or something. Its really cool in there - the barman/Dj plays heaps of quirky old lounge music, & mixes up mean cocktails inbetween DJing. Its very cosy & is a great place to get plastered after eating at any of the fine resuaurants (of which there are many).

cath_suz_fridge_door.jpg

the bar under niseko chalet is pretty dull, but has internet access & good pizzas. We didnt really find any other nightlife, but had several good nights in restaurants & were usually ready for bed after that...!

O11, no shortage of P & Q.... i'll show you my favourite P & Q runs if we synchronise up there \:D

So Spook ... or shall we call you Luke now that your cyber alter ego has been exposed ... pls answer the man/woman's question ... "do you know of a good place to get nekkid?" lol.gif btw, does the last word mean naked or necked in layman terms? So any of you lads and/or lasses heading for Niseko at the end of this year?

Oh, and would there be more info from the solids dieters to balance the suggestions given by the liquid dieters? Any good places for yakitori, ramen, hokkaido crab (hell yeah) etc. :p

so mikazooki, or should that be dr paul, i believe i have uncovered your identity

the embarassing thing is that i have killed so many brain cells, that even after looking at yer photo on your member page, it still didn't ring any bells, and a miss h baxter had to come to my assistance

weeel, the only good place i found to get naked was the onsen in the middle of the village. a highly recomended way to pass an afternoon when visibility on the hill is zero, then cruise up for the nighta afterwards