I have just bought myself a new suitcase - very light it is, and it will help me bring back just that bit more than the one I had before.

One of my Japanese friends has possibly the heaviest suitcase in the world - and that's when it is empty. It's this huge heavy thing and it just seems a really strange design for a suitcase when I would have thought lightness is one of the best things it can be. The one my friend has must weight a good proportion of his luggage weight allowance all in itself.

What kind do you have?

We have got rid of the old fabric covered strong structured heavy ones (now just store old stuff in the attic) and have replaced them with the lightweight polycarbonate or whatever that stuff is - hard shell but light.

They have been brilliant and we just got our first bit of damage on a Qantas Perth to Melbourne flight last week - a dent in on a corner (obviously got thrown or dropped onto it's corner). I would think they will get damage and need replacing every 5 or so years - but well worth the extra weight you can put IN them!!