Let me share.

Someone up the road from where my parents live - nice respectable middle class countryside town - was caught growing a few plants the other year. Lights on in the loft all the time was the giveaway and PC Plod was called. Big news it was.

Quote:
As we walk into John's basement, the smell is so overwhelming it almost knocks me off my feet.

In front of me stand 120 marijuana plants whose thick bushy leaves cover the strong stems.

John explains quite nonchalantly that this is just a small growing operation, or grow-ops as they are known throughout Canada.

But he pays loving attention to the crop - adjusting temperature, light and nutrient supply - to ensure that it enjoys the best possible environment.

Every two to three months, John harvests some 8lbs (3.6kg) of his crop, worth about $20,000.

So even if he didn't work at other jobs, that nets him a tidy salary (untaxed of course) of about $80,000 a year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7519178.stm

Oh yeah, this is pretty common.

In vancouver, the biggest grow-ops are in the affluent neighborhoods, and the police have taked to using infra-red photography from aircraft to find grow-ops (because of the huge heat signature they produce).

I've heard of people setting up little orchards on some of those uninhabited islands in the Strait of Georgia and up Howe Sound... Summer "job" between liftie work during the winter season.

ezorisu, some of the trees in hawaii, on top of the branches with the pots tied down, out in random spots in lava fields, and even in peeps back yards, much more laid back attitude in Hawaii eh. Though I dont think anybody there flaunts it nor is stupid bout it.

Arresting somebody for growing pot...another war on drugs victory!! rolleyes rolleyes

...yet tobacco, coffee, and alcohol are legal... rolleyes

CB - I agree it is a bit much to arrest someone for having a recreational pot growing amongst the kitchen herbs ... however these guys who are growing great forests in the attic need to be culled.

I have seen the downsides to regular pot use in some people.

My BIL is a fabulous bloke, real sweetheart - but I wouldn't know the man straight - he is always a little peaced out. He functions, but he has lost all the drive and passion. Not tragic but a shame.

My little brother had self esteem issues - he had severe learning disabilities coupled with a very high IQ making for a very frustrated and angry young man ... and he ran away from home to join Johnny Kizons drug world at 15. My parents were beside themselves and drove the streets of Northbidge searching for him - just to make sure he was alive and OK EVERY night. The only time they got any information about him at all in 3 years was when the police would call me to collect him as his nominated 'legal guardian' (I am 10yrs older). I would take him home, get him clean, fed, take him shopping drop him home and visit the parents with a report on his condition. This year he is 30. He suffers from depression, which seems to be very connected to the pot use - he still uses pot - but to a much lesser degree - and he holds down a job and a girlfriend (a strange and very dependent one - but a partner nonetheless). He is doing much better -but I still see the child he WAS and the potential he had, and it devestates me that the drugs tore away so much of that.

Don't take me the wrong way. I have no problem with a little recreational indulgence - and people growing thier own....it is the big suppliers of those that become dependent on the stuff that get to me. But as an ex-smoker I feel the same way about the ciggie companies as well!!

I think it's difficult to attribute the kind of problems he is facing specifically to pot though. Sounds like a lot of his troubles are unrelated. A lot of serious potheads get right into psychadelics too, which are probably more harmful with heavy use but even then it's hard to distinguish cause and effect. I have some friends back home who have smoked all the time for decades now but seem to function perfectly well so I think it also depends on the individual too. I couldn't pull off that kind of lifestyle very well for long.

Actually though, there's this one drug I'm familiar with that's REALLY bad. If you use just a bit, you're likely to feel kind of happy but if you use a little more there are all kinds of effects: loss of coordination, lapses in judgement (people do things they definitely wouldn't do if they weren't using), inflated sense of confidence or even immortality, some people get violent mood swings, memory loss, dehydration and headaches, nausia and vomiting, even death in extreme cases (often caused indirectly from other effects). It's also proven to be very addictive, both mentally and physically. cheers

>Actually though, there's this one drug I'm familiar with that's REALLY bad. If you use just a bit, you're likely to feel kind of happy but if you use a little more there are all kinds of effects: loss of coordination, lapses in judgement (people do things they definitely wouldn't do if they weren't using), inflated sense of confidence or even immortality, some people get violent mood swings, memory loss, dehydration and headaches, nausia and vomiting, even death in extreme cases (often caused indirectly from other effects). It's also proven to be very addictive, both mentally and physically. cheers

alcohol - more violence occurs when people are drunk, not when theyre stoned. I just believe in moderation in whatever you choose to do...

I disagree with the 'legalise' debate for only one reason - motoring.

Being under the influence of alcohol is easily pick-up, however, detecting the myriad of other substances is not so easy.

Would those supporting legalisation be so enthusiastic if their child were killed by a driver under the influence?

That's why, in most cities in the western world, Friday and Saturday nights are the most dangerous to be on or near a road: 20-somethings high on weed, GHB, MDMA, etc and doing the party/club scene.