car insurance - do you insure the driver or the car?

I'm going to be using someone's car for awhile, he said his insurance mightn't cover any accidents if I'm driving (if he's not in the car) - ie - it seems the driver is insured, not the car.

Is that the case? And if so, how do I get insurance (who do I contact)? If not, how does it all work?

Thanks.

My car is insured only for me driving it I think.

I think maybe the best thing would be to have the owner of the car to "add you" to the insurance contract for whatever period you are going to use it for. If that makes sense.

((After just thinking more about this, and possibly confusing myself, I'm not too sure on how it is setup)).

I borrowed a friends car for a couple of months last year and his insurance wouldnt cover me. I got a form of personal liability insurance which covered me for any damage caused in case of an accident while driving another persons car. It doesnt cover driving your own vehicle so once I got my car in my name I had to get the insurance changed.

In OZ, I can insure the car for a reduced premium if I am prepared to specify that there will be noone other than the (2) named drivers EVER!

If I am not prepared to do that, the premium goes up. Even more if anyone likely to drive it will be under 21.

Yes same for me JA.

We always get comprehensive insurance - this covers anyone driving the car. You just never know! I don't want to be flaffing around changing policies just so my Dad can drive my car home from the airport - if ya know what I mean.

But we will soon be running into the under 21 problem as the eldest bear cub will be getting his licence within the next year - and I don't think we have insured the cars for under 21's...or maybe it was just a huge excess.

I would ask your friend what his policy is - and if it is just say a $500 excess then be prepared to pay the excess if anything happens...I was not aware that you could insure yourself to drive another persons car.

thanks everyone for the replies, I have to dash out the door right now, I'll write more later. By the way - Aussie residents, thanks, but Japan is a different kettle of fish when it comes to all kinds of things (such as this), so unfortunately your advice can't really help me.

Thanks again, guys. I guess the first thing to do would be to get the car owner to see if he can add it to his insurance, and then look at the options if they won't do it.

Fatty I'll drop you a line, I dont' know phat luv's address.