According to a snownet poll, the best early season resorts are (the opening dates at the end):

1. スノータウン(Snowtown Yeti) (18/10)

2. 丸沼(Marunuma)高原 (1/11)

3. かぐら みつまた 田代 (Kagura Mitsumata Tashiro)(22/11)

4. 鹿沢スノーエリア(Kazawa Snow Area)(25/10)

5. グランデコスキーリゾート(Gran Deco) (28/11)

6. 谷川岳天神平 (Tanigawadake Tenjindaira)(15/11)

6. 軽井沢プリンスホテル (Karuizawa Prince)(1/11)

8. 奥只見丸山 (Okutadami Maruyama) (22/11)

Are they any good in November?

Hmm i must admit i did it last weekend...

I had To try my new bindings and boots, so i packed my gear and drove 150 km to Yeti,

WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!!

first of all, it was raining. I know i can't blame Yeti for that.

But cmon, the gelende was 3 - 5 m wide, and overcrowded! that makes it impossible to go any faster that walking-speed.

and guess what the snow show stopped 50 meters before the lift!!!!!! I had to walk down the final 50 meter to the lift, a slooow 10 minute ride up the 700 m slope, that was after waiting 10-15 minutes in line!!!

So, after one hour of Yeti-ing i had enough, and went home knowing 2 very important things:

My new bindings rocks.

I will not return to Yeti anytime soon

ATB

Thunder

Thanks Thunder. My Japanese colleagues told me to steer clear of Yeti too.

I went to Karuizawa Prince mid November last year. The gelende didn't last too long (I would say about 2:00 pm) but was good fun none the less. I might go again this year to try out my new alpine set.

Karuizawa Prince? That terrible place with the artifical snow?

Well, that's where I'm headed for Christmas since my Kiroro trip fell through. The only reason I'm going there is that my gf is still nursing her knee surgery and won't be skiing this season so I can dump her in the mall and spa complex while I do a little riding. If I get too bored, I guess I can always hop on the Shinkansen go to Hakuba or somewhere for the day.

BTW, since the rooms come with a two free lift-passes, I will have an extra lift-pass for the week of Christmas so anyone wanting to head that way during that time is welcome to it.

Quote:
That terrible place with the artifical snow
I guess it is not that terrible since you are going there again. And of course it is not 'real' snow as we are talking November.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Siren:
I guess it is not that terrible since you are going there again. And of course it is not 'real' snow as we are talking November.
Who said I was going "again"? It's my first and I certainly hope it won't be terrible. I understand the eating, shopping and spa are fantastic, and that it's a hang-out for the rich and famous in Japan. However, everything I've heard about the slopes has so far been negative. At least I'm going in Christmas so there should be "real" snow.
  • 1 month later...

O.K.,....Karuizawa.....been there, done that.

Yeah, had a really great time. The slopes are not demanding at all. It's now the only resort I've been to where I have tried ALL the runs, even all them blackies. The snow quality was a bit icy in some spots but was generally very satisfactory and the number and the quality of the runs was much better than I expected. However, this is certainly not a place I would recommend for a ski/snowboard buff but it's great for beginner or intermediate sliders.

The climax of the stay was when Sunrise took up my offer and came up for a day of sliding capped by a nice outdoor onsen before I put her back on the Shinkansen to Tokyo for her evening gig.

The shopping and dining there was also much better than I expected and so the gf is VERY happy even though she didn't get to ski and we were overweight (the luggage I mean, but actually we were as well) checking-in at the airport. However, my wallet was much lighter so that balanced it out. Even after we had checked in, the buying didn't stop! She spotted a duty free Mikimoto shop and by then my Y supplies were only down to 5 digits but that didn't stop her of course. Who the hell invented credit cards? Not to worry! I have a way of dealing with credit.

So, all in all, had a blast. We all did. Too bad my previous date, zeroman, couldn't make it. Maybe that's for the best, otherwise my gf would probably have been jealous.

Not complaining, Siren, she is well worth it for being a good sport and letting me have fun on the slopes without her and even let me do a whole day with Sunrise.

Must also thank Sunrise for talking her out of buying that "Rabbit Skin" coat which cost even more than those Mikimotos.

....you thought we had a heart to heart about it in the onsen, right? You thought I accosted her at the idea of killing animals for her fashion sense. Nah, I was too busy enjoying a good soak to be thinking about such things. She probably psychically picked up the earlier conversation you and I had, and suddently realised that it really is dead animal fur lol.gif

O.K., zeroman, when you come to HK, I'll ask her to let you stroke the mink half-coat I got for her last year which Sunrise was a bit late in saving.

Yes, I'm sorry Sunrise, I did. I guess this means you're gonna deduct a lot of points from my "good guy" image which I have worked so hard to accumulate.