Just discussing this in the chat box, and a speaker system for ipods and I came up with the comment "suits me". Some expensive systems come up with a sound that, for some reason, doesn't suit me.

I like a strong bass but also value a nice crisp treble quality, can't be doing with dull/muddy sounding bass and nothing else. I've really liked a few Kenwood systems I've had before.

I might be talking rubbish and finding it difficult to say what I feel here lol but does anyone else have this thinking or are speakers just cheap or expensive speakers?

Hell no! Some speakers suit me and others don't! I really don't like Wharfedales at all, but love B&W's.

The audio speakers I'm running at the moment are 30 year old Mordant Short's coupled to an equally ancient Pioneer amp. For straight audio it's great, and it hardly cost me anything to buy.

The new digital amps with the new speakers (I have Kefs and Denon equipment) just sound tight to me. Perfect for home theatre, but not for rock.

And for my travel needs I use the onTour (for non iPods) version of the onStage speakers mentioned in the chat box. I hate the cheap speakers you can get. They are just terrible. Spend the money, find something good.

You`re pushing shit uphill klingon. Compressed sound from your ipod is rubbish. Good speakers won`t turn sows ears into a silk purse. For sound you need vinyl on a stereo.

Sorry, it`s an old man thing.

You might be surprised at the quality of sound they can actually produce, soubs, given the compression etc.

Anyway I wasn't really meaning for this to be about ipod speakers - more about speakers and sound in general.

You might be surprised to hear this but I own a quality vinyl system as well as a quality CD system as well as my ipod and it's speaker.

I don't suppose you have heard the sound that comes out of, say, the new JBL On Sound speaker system. It is pretty good.

Anyway, as I said above, this was not meant to me about ipod speakers or the evils of compressed mp3s.

smile

You have me there. Vinyl on my old stereo was good. The CD over the same system was convenient. I gave my system to Pearl when I left Oz.

All I hear now is compressed over my computer system. It`s rubbish but that`s the price I pay. What`s an ipod?

I have had Bose 301 & 901, Klipsch (sp?), Denon, JBL, and now Onkyo. If the speakers are in a similar (price) range you generally wont notice much difference, but if you get better models you will see a very obvious difference - but only really when you are blasting them.

anyone have built in speakers for their home? I am doing a lot of renovations and thinking to myself it might be a good time to put some speakers into the walls or ceilings or both

not me stemik, but my best mate in the US does, he has Marantz components and Klipsch (Sp) speakers in the walls/ceilings. Actually the whole house is wired so they can listen to the stereo in almost any room in the house. Pretty sweet I thought smile

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I have had Bose 301 & 901, Klipsch (sp?), Denon, JBL, and now Onkyo. If the speakers are in a similar (price) range you generally wont notice much difference, but if you get better models you will see a very obvious difference - but only really when you are blasting them.

I'm not sure I agree. When I bought the Kef Coda's they were noticeably "warmer" than the competition. I wish I'd had more dosh at the time to go a few levels higher...

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of the really good speakers need to be pushed to perform. Is this what B&O are trying to address with their "Lifestyle" products?

Originally Posted By: stemik
anyone have built in speakers for their home? I am doing a lot of renovations and thinking to myself it might be a good time to put some speakers into the walls or ceilings or both

A huge amount of effort goes into designing speaker cabinets and matching the drivers and crossovers, so I would have thought putting speakers in "random" cavities in walls in ceilings would be far inferior to free standing speakers?