Originally Posted By: thursday.

Notice that the Chinese are helping themselves.

I did notice that China are turning down help! thousands are buried in rubble, it's a race against time and the Chinese Govt are declining help (just like Myanmar). Too damn proud to accept it.
A Japanese team get stopped at the airport, Australian and Sth Korean rescue teams told not to go.

From the outside it is hard to understand the refusal of assistance, but perhaps they have concerns that the assistance comes with a price or conditions.

A stupid example, but when I was getting ready for a big 80+ party here weekend before last on behalf of the school I knocked back lots of offers for help (graciously) as I was better off (despite being run off my feet) doing things my way in my time. Extra people would have created more stress - a logistical nightmare if you wish... And the MORE people, the worse it would be.

Maybe on a much bigger scale this is what is going on with the refusals for help from Burma and China. And maybe when they identify something they need help with they will ask?

Mama,

In myanmar, the reason is nothing so esoteric. It seems to be very simply that the current regime doesn't want anyone from outside seeing what happens there. The dictatorship there is, and has been for quite a while, very very isolationist.

In the case of China, however, I believe the reasoning is much more "we have the expertise, have been there - done that before, and the manpower is not in doubt!

Originally Posted By: SG
 Originally Posted By: thursday.

Notice that the Chinese are helping themselves.

I did notice that China are turning down help! thousands are buried in rubble, it's a race against time and the Chinese Govt are declining help (just like Myanmar). Too damn proud to accept it.
A Japanese team get stopped at the airport, Australian and Sth Korean rescue teams told not to go.

I saw that too SG, turing down rescue dogs, who can help facilitate the search? Seems a bit stupid IMO. The Chinese need to pull their head outta their asses, and quit holding a petty grudge against the Japanese. Sure Japan did some crappy things throughout Asia; but, its not like the Chinese are sooooo innocent and sweet, right?

Why rely on oustside help when they can help themselves quite adequately. Search and rescue dogs are not a monopoly.

Troops have been mobilized all over the country to go to Sichuan. Airports are being used for military aircraft. Non essential travellers have been stranded for a coupla days. It is chaotic there, so why add to the chaos?

It's a case of thanks for the offers guys, we'll certainly accept when we need it.

I agree. It would be near complete chaos on the ground in these places - no comms, no water, no roads, no power etc. Throw into that mix a bunch of people (however well trained) who can't speak chinese, don't know the SOPs of the S&R teams on the ground, don't have quipment that is compatable with the local gear, don't know the area, don't know the the people etc., and it is pretty easy to understand why the Chinese are reluctant to accept the assistance.

Burma is very different. The UN should kick in the door, bang some heads together and sort the place out.

A disproportionate number of children were killed because all the schools collapsed. Public funding of private companies.

You can draw your own conclusions. I`ve drawn mine, and it has nothing to do with rural China being poor.

Sorry for your loss Tabasco Sauce.

It must be absolutely heart breaking.

I can not comprehend the emotion involved ... as a Piscean Psychologist I wear my heart on my sleeve anyway...but this kind of catastrophy leaves me without the ability to grasp the level of grief of those effected - it is just too big.

I was wondering about that term and though it was something like a fish doc.

"Doc, could you look at my goldfish, it's a bit off colour, a bit pink around the gills"

smiley time horse

hijack now back on topic.