TR: Mentawai Islands, Indonesia

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers seemore

that wave is e-bay - a 5 minute paddle from us. when it's big we can see it breaking around the point from us.

check out Pitstop Hill Mentawai for more info

and i'm from perth - i know all about onshore and crap!

jim banks is still shaping. his websiteis a trip. amongst all the info about boards there's pages devoted to organic vegetables and other stuff like that.

he's got an indo model shortboard that looks nice for proper waves. you'd want to be surfing good waves on it though

and yep, seemore, spookette and i do the mentawai surf report for coastalwatch every week

Mantas, Yeah it is Ulu's.. The corner.

It's not as hard to get out as it might seem and low tide is pretty easy. Just jump of the side of the reef and get swept down abit. It's not a top to bottom wave, so it isn't like having 10ft Padang breaking on ya head!

Coming in at high tide on a 8ft+ swell is another story! I missed the cave only once and was either paddle back around (i was rooted at the time) or come in down between Ulu & Padang..

I can understand where you are voming from Mantas.. I was like that my first week or so, but after spending a season (Feb- Oct) surfing the place pretty much everyday you get the better waves and understand it way better. Obviously you haven't had a nice late arvo glass off with the race track firing... Priceless!

racetracks is phenomenal

i spent a few days staying at ulus a few years ago. maybe 8 years ago or something like that. it only ever got crowded when the swell dropped, otherwise we'd just surf big ulus by ourselves when everyone else was at padang and bingin

the peak was good but racetracks was amazing. very very fast. i'm a better surfer now and would like to have a crack at it again but i've heard the crowds are horrendous

we've got a good looking swell arriving here in a week, and a good mate is coming up with the next group of guests. it's been a week since the last really really good waves, so i'm hoping we score

(and yes, i realise how spoilt i sound "a week since the last really good waves"...)

Originally Posted By: spook

(and yes, i realise how spoilt i sound "a week since the last really good waves"...)

You have no idea!

I didn't realize you did the whole report for coastal watch. I thought you just did the photos.

new swell but wonky conditions this morning. drove around in circles and ended up surfing round the corner a few hours later, but we scored - 4-6ft, draining lefts and no one out. very lucky but we're not complaining!