Hey guys, im going to be travelling to japan in december (flying to tokyo) this year, ive been looking at alot of resorts and places to stay, but am still not sure on what to go for.

I'll be flying out mid december, and was looking for somewhere where the snow will be pretty good at that time and also a good place to learn how to snowboard (complete novice).

Nozawa onsen caught my eye with its snow depth for december and the fact there is a ski and snowboard school there(though im not sure they give any lessons in english).

Are there any other places you'd recommend or have i made a good choice?

Thanks

John

I think that the best thing to do is just monitor the reports as you get closer to when you come and then make as late a decision as possible. Mid december I went to Kagura in Niigata and the conditions were pretty good. from Tokyo you have pretty easy access to most resorts in Honshu. Also most if not all resorts will have schools and instructors, dunno about in English though!!

Tubby, the man is in Ireland! The options close in a bit the further away you are.

John, The best choice is to make one! then go with it. Re english lessons, I would suggest you ask the ski schools at the resorts. They would have a fair idea of the standard of english available.

Obviously, a resort that has a website with no English option is unlikely to have much in the way of support for English speakers. OTOH, you could just keep asking.

FWIW, I have been to Niseko - and the ski schools there have good English language instructors, and Furano - where the level of support for English is lower. At Kamui Ski Links, the staff have basic English but no idea about the ski school.

As I said at the start, pick a few, ask them. Of course, you could always get stuck in to a Nihongo (that's Japanese language) course between now and the time you leave - we are using Pimsleur's on the PC.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: JA
Tubby, the man is in Ireland! The options close in a bit the further away you are.

John, The best choice is to make one! then go with it. Re english lessons, I would suggest you ask the ski schools at the resorts. They would have a fair idea of the standard of english available.

Obviously, a resort that has a website with no English option is unlikely to have much in the way of support for English speakers. OTOH, you could just keep asking.

FWIW, I have been to Niseko - and the ski schools there have good English language instructors, and Furano - where the level of support for English is lower. At Kamui Ski Links, the staff have basic English but no idea about the ski school.

As I said at the start, pick a few, ask them. Of course, you could always get stuck in to a Nihongo (that's Japanese language) course between now and the time you leave - we are using Pimsleur's on the PC.

Good luck

BUT he is flying into tokyo first, so he could hang off un til the last minute (which is relative, until he feels its the last minute) and then go with the report