Example of typical Japanese racism

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't really intending there to be some big debate about whether Japanese are racist or not (in my mind there is no real debate on this) but that in the case about the US guy being killed there is obviously extreme bias in the media which is based on race. I believe it's basically a form of propaganda that is wholeheatedly supported and encouraged by those in power in this country.

Distrust and misinformation about foreigners allows this government to treat foreigners (whether they are permanent residents or not) as second class citizens with little if any outcry from the general populace. If the populace distrust and fear us then they are hardly going to care if the government brings in increasingly draconian measures to manage the big bad gaijin problem.

While I agree with some of what you are saying, I don't think it is quite as bad as all that.

In any case, do you remember the Sara Blackman case? That got much more coverage than these Okinawa cases ever get. To me all this all proves is that certain stories are deemed more sensational. In the Sara Blackman case it was a young foreign lady (and likely others) drugged and murdered by a seedy Japanese guy. The media went to town on it!

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
the same media that insinuated foriegn hooligans would destroy the cities during the world cup.

like they did in France 4 years previous.

There are major problems with the mass media in basically every country, and Japan is no different. That's not to say Japanese tv isn't crap, because it is. Western tv is bad, and Japan's is worse.

A fight in a bar leading to a death sounds like a lot of different things could have happened. Its probably for the best that the media didn't jump all over it and get those idiots on the morning shows to stick their oar in. Thats when you would see all kinds of prejudice come out.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I wasn't really intending there to be some big debate about whether Japanese are racist or not (in my mind there is no real debate on this) but that in the case about the US guy being killed there is obviously extreme bias in the media which is based on race. I believe it's basically a form of propaganda that is wholeheatedly supported and encouraged by those in power in this country.

might be better to change this post to
Example of typical Japanese "meida" racism/

In the case of the US guy it wasn't the lack of coverage so much that concerns me or points to racism. It was the fact that in the coverage there was the media chose to quote some guy whose statement basically was providing an excuse for why a Japanese guy might get out of control and kill the foreigner. It's basically trying to say that yeah ok the guy went a bit overboard but because of the arrogant way these foreigners act it was bound to happen sooner or later. In fact the guy was almost doing us a favour because it's got so that locals can't even go out anymore as they live in fear of these all so arrogant foreigners. Killing one might just send the right message...

Okay, there is racism against non-Asians in Japan. There is also ethnocentrism by Japanese against non-Japanese Asians. frown.gif

Getting back to the original post, this was a reference to an article from an English language website aimed at a non-Japanese audience. The writer of the article himself says that he didn't completely understand the Japanese-language news spot that he read (by his own admission the only source of information) about this incident. Remember what BP said about the news? Same thing goes here. This isn't objective information: This is an article written by "foreigners" for "foreigners" specifically for the sake of inflaming emotions.

I'm not saying there is no racism in Japan, or that the perp was justified in beating the guy to death - I am saying that I'd take this particular source of information with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
this debate again?!?!? lol.gif

I dont think Japanese are as racist as they are just ignorant. But thats just me.

Ignorance is no excuse for it. Surely the lessons learned in teh West have taught us this. Japan is a country that changes VERY slowly, and in that its a place that has a very strange foot in both the past and the present. I'm not saying that western countries (in general) are multicultural paradises with no sectarian problems, but its at least socially unnacceptable to exhibit such racist behaviour. I feel the press and media are biased toward/ against foreigners, but we are the easy option to blame ills upon. It was the same in 50's thru to the 80's for Britain, even now with the Eastern European influx these ideas have raised their ugly head again. (Not necessarily in the media, just the population in genral).

Great, join Arudo Debito's crusade and fight the ignorant and racists bastards! Give a donation!

Personally, I just laugh at Japanese as I dont have the time to really give 2 shits worth ;\) There are enough of you guys out there with more time and energy so get movin...Ill sign the petition :p

and, FWIW:

I think it goes hand in hand with "common sense" which I dont think Japanese have either.

So, how do we teach common sense to an entire facked country of citizens who lack it? And common sense isnt 常識 either.

Quote:
I think it goes hand in hand with "common sense" which I dont think Japanese have either.

Well this itself is borderline racist I would say.

Not that I condemn you for it, I actually agree, but we cant throw stones when we live in glass houses.

I agree in very general terms CB, but I do know a lot of Japanese who do have common sense (and not in the sense of 常識). And I know a whole lot more who have none of it! But lets not go branding an entire country with a trait that may be quite common.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
 Quote:

Well this itself is borderline racist I would say.

Not that I condemn you for it, I actually agree, but we cant throw stones when we live in glass houses.

well, shit, we cant say anything now without being called a racist can we? Thats a bit facked IMHO. There was nothing racist about what I said. Internet/written form tends to cause problems because of not understanding the tone. And I know you said you dont condemn me for it but... shifty.gif

Actually, I am a racist! I hate Japanese, hate the country, people, food, language, especially all other gaijin in this country, you all really suck! Go home losers. Most of all, I hate preta, burakumin, ainu, and any other ethnic groups out there - whoa, Koreans, go home. Why would you voluntarily wanna live here is beyond me.

rant over ;\)

Rascism aside, i quit watching Japanese TV years ago because the sexism disgusted me too much. Which sucks, because i do want to watch TV in order to practice my Japanese, but every time i turn it on it pisses me off.