Question - How to access Off-Piste/BC in Hakuba Happo-One?

Originally Posted By: Thursday
Does anyone else find this a bit twisted?

Yes, and I think TB is spot on too, but then again I am a generally welcoming and pleasant natured person. Not everyone is as open and helpful, nor do we expect them to be.

It is wise to take head of local experts such as FT on safety issues like this, but you are dead right TB - could have been said nicer. Forum newbies have feelings too.
 Originally Posted By: spook
if he'd said, hey, i'm a good skiier with xx years of BC experienec and want to access some interesting areas, he would have gotten a better response.

No he wouldn't. It is just the way things work around here. You don't give directions into the out of bounds. People are happy to talk about how to do BC safely and share experiences and recommendations on the gear to use and all that but the one thing you won't get is directions. Even if the person were experienced it wouldn't help because everyone else would get the info as well and then we'd have herds of 10 yr old beginners heading into the Happo BC and FT's worst fears would be realised.

Whether the comments were a bit harsh, I probably share Tubb's view on this - no need to slap the guy down for asking. If the question offends, the easy thing to do is not respond.

I remember asking a question about skier compaction in the BC & avy forum a ways back and got similar blunt responses from some members..... on the plus side I also got some very informative responses and links which answered my question (and also raised more), moral of the story.....

Ignore the haters.

The 'dumbass-until-proven-otherwise' attitude is just lame, but Loon's summary sounds fair enough.

Originally Posted By: OkemoLoon
Alright, I am going to try and set this to bed. TB you are right asking questions is a great start. But don't expect people to tell you to go here and drop in here, turn left at the big tree and hike out to here. People with real BC expirence will know what questions to ask. No one is going to give up fav spots to some gaper asking dumb questions.

Not that ASL is a gaper but he is asking the wrong questions in the wrong place.

If you are serious about getting into BC your doing the right thing. Keep your eyes open on the forums. Do your research, knowledge and the proper equipment are 2 of the keys you need to unlock the BC.

Personally TB, I suggest taking a guided BC tour. Find out if BC is really worth it to you. After you earn a few of your turns you will know weather or not it is really for you.

Actually, I looked off the edge of Happo a while ago when I skied in Hakuba. The terrain that I could see looked great but I didn't know much about the snowpack at the time and there was a wicked sun crust which would have been a hassle... and of course I didn't know how the hell to get back home. Looking at very general topo maps, it seems like if you go off to the North, you'll end up around those dams that people jump off and going to the south towards 47 will take you towards some cliffy terrain maybe (going North will probably lead to cliffs too, so that's a pretty good guess). The North looks better to me but I don't know jack and I won't drop in unless I figure things out. To drop in you just have to be able to ski, but getting out is another thing.

Originally Posted By: ger
The 'dumbass-until-proven-otherwise' attitude is just lame.

Yep, he may well be the most stupid, irresponsible person on the planet.
On the other hand he could be the most experienced back country skier in the world outside of Hakuba.

We don't know, so why not wait to find out.