Interviews: Lovelock and Hawking

The Grauniad has put up a couple of interesting pieces over the past week.

Here's James Lovelock.

"Climate science maverick James Lovelock believes catastrophe is inevitable, carbon offsetting is a joke and ethical living a scam. So what would he do?"

"What would Lovelock do now, I ask, if he were me? He smiles and says: "Enjoy life while you can. Because if you're lucky it's going to be 20 years before it hits the fan.""

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2008/mar/01/scienceofclimatechange.climatechange

Richard Hawking.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/mar/02/stephen.hawking

"Is the study of philosophy and theology a waste of time? Hawking, a notorious atheist, looks at his screen, and grimaces. More beeping. 'Yes,' he says, finally. 'Most of it is based on a complete disregard of observational evidence and modern science.'"

I'm not Lovelock's greatest fan, but he's right. Get your noboarding in now, Oyuki, and don't stress too much about burning the carbon getting there and back. "Preventing" climate change is pishing into the wind. Managing it should be No1 priority for you young blokes.

I know climate change is happening, and will continue to happen, even if we stopped emitting today.

Yeah, management and sustainable alternatives are a fact, not an option anymore.

What i would like to do is settle down in the mountains in west Nagano and have a little plot to practice permaculture ont he weekends.

In the Lovelock one, he still grudgingly admits that reducing plastic bags is a good thing. From all the reports about plastic in the Pacific, that one is almost certainly undeniable. I think you can say the same about many other green issues. CO2 is only one issue.

Even if we're past some tipping point due to historic CO2, an efficient car and house (i.e., the most effective things many people can do to reduce CO2) will still save you a fortune in fuel bills. This saving is 100% yours, regardless of the CO2 output of China, India, The USA, or the scapegoat of your choice. You don't have to make lifestyle choices, or even believe in global warming in the first place.

Well said. I'm an environmentalist first and foremost because I'm a skinflint and loathe waste. We was poor where I growd up. We can all do our best for the purely selfish reason that a penny saved is a penny earned.

Regardless, climate will change whether womenkind change their tampons or not.

IMO it is essential to understand that climate change is a fundamental of life, and not something that can be stopped by a Green agenda. When the Green Dickheads understand this, the sun will rise in the west.