Do I need chains to get to Iwappara?

I'm coming up tomorrow morning and am getting mixed messages about whether we need chains. We have a Volvo 4WD (yes I am a true Skimum) - but we can't seem to get chains to fit due to low clearance. The only suggestions we have been given are to shinkansen it - we have way too much luggage and 2 young kids so that's not an option, or to rent a car - same reason.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts- ASAP!

ta

Skimum

Oh dear. Our Subaru is AWD. Last November we were caught in early snow on summer tyres. It was instructive. The tyres make more difference than AWD.

I find it curious that "they" can't get snow tyres in time, unless "they" are Volvo. (Nothing against Volvo). A major tyre distributor such as Sanwa or Yellow Hat should have the correct tyres in stock, and be able to supply a set of generic wheels or fit them to your existing wheels in about 1/2 hour.

What size tyres are they? They will have a marking on the sidewall saying something like "195/60-15". Tyres are pretty standard. The only problem I can see is if Volvo use an odd wheel fitment, in which case you will need to get them fitted onto your existing wheels.

Nil desperandum Skimum. This can be managed, maybe with a slight delay.

FWIW, chains are an abomination. Fitting and removing them involves lying in the snow, struggling, with slush dripping in your face and running down your sleeves. Chains are brutal on the driveline and suspension.

Snow tyres transform the performance in ice or snow. I'd never used them before coming to Japan, but I'm totally converted.

With the weather as it is tonight/tomorrow I would say they will be wanting chains on the IC. I don't have experience actually of how they enforce this but you might have problems coming through to the Yuzawa IC without chains tomorrow.

It will be snowing tom & sunday.

No snow tyres & no chains = they wil not let you through.

They filter the highway at a service area before the snow gets heavy.

Your only chance is to shink it.

Maybe forget about this w/e for snow.

Go to yellow hat instead & you will get your snow tyres same day.

Then you'll be able to enjoy next w/e fully equiped.

*&^%$#%^&*(*&^%$ went to Auto Bacs today and they said they didn't have them. We have 235/65 17 tyres - and the guy was going on about low clearance (showed me a pic with the suspension thingo and space).

Some petrol stations in Yuzawa MIGHT be able to help (doubtful?), but you would have to get to Yuzawa in the first place to do that. You might even need to go to Muikamachi (next town) for that though. I don't know.

But I do know that I think you are going to need to take the train!! Sorry!

Unless you can find the tyres/chains on the way to Yuzawa and (probably) before the Numata or Minakami IC of the Kanetsu Expressway, there ain't any other solution I'm afraid.

If you are ok driving dangerously on Route 17 you could take the long way round via Naeba to Yuzawa. Would take a long time though especially in the conditions we have at the moment, and I really would not recommend it.

Ok next option is to drive to somewhere then get the train - getting all our crap in a big Tokyo station is not a goer - so do you know where the Shinkansen actually starts - or where else we could pick it up from? Thanks Muikabochi!!!

Don't you know where the Shinkansen starts? I'm getting a bit confused over this lot!

The Joetsu shinkans starts at Tokyo, then stops at Ueno, Omiya, Kumagaya, Takasaki, Jomo Kogen and then Echigo Yuzawa. Actually not all of them, it depends on which one. Some miss out some stations. All of the shinkansens tomorrow morning I would think will also be very busy so if you get on anywhere other than Tokyo (and maybe Ueno) you can probably expect to be standing.

What you suggests doesn't sound like fun to me. Parking your car (where?), still having to carry luggage, etc....

Good luck with whatever you do.

Originally Posted By: Skimum
We have 235/65 17 tyres - and the guy was going on about low clearance (showed me a pic with the suspension thingo and space).

Ouch! Those are seriously wicked tyres. Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but AWD or not, it's not a snow car.

In snow, narrow tyres are good, fat tyres are bad. (Ever read Animal Farm?). You'll be needing to ring the hire companies, first thing.

I thought mine at 195 were wide for snow (mumble mumble).

I am soooooooooo over this. We are going to try pot luck and go to Tokyo station in the morning and hope we can still get seats....my husband has now just told me to pack light. Yeh right. I am a chic!!!!

oh cmon don't go there! We got told that we didn't need chains/tyres last week, so followed that advice. Then I was told we did - so I went to Auto Bacs today - who woulda thunk that they wouldn't have them for our car????? Cmon honestly would you??????

I have just repacked all our s*&t very well I have to say!

Don't go where?

Are you getting angry at us? (Will you still love us and be with us here when your problem is over after the weekend?)

I can understand your frustration, but there's no need to take it out on us lot.

Best of luck with it all!