Anyone have any good places to pick up Tele gear? I have my boots here but my skis sadly died (well -they deserved rest anyway). I'm in Yamagata and haven't found anyplace that even knows what the hell I'm talking about. I know there's a Montbell near Tokyo and maybe Sapporo but any place within a few hours of here? Please help!!!!!! Thanks much

Pray for snow! clap.gif

I dont tele but the friends of fine who did almost never bought tele skis. Got a good store way down here in kyoto. I know that does you know good keep looking they are out there. Here is a hint, i did this.

Hit your fav ski maker up ie email. ask them to find a dealer near you. If that doesnt work find the import company (distributor) and they will tell you how to find the places.

here is a link to a distributor

http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~norheim/

My little outdoor store sells all sorts of Tele gear. A few different brands of skis as well.

There is Black dimond and K2 at least. And then also G3 skins and bindings.

Store is named Kong. It might be a chain store. Not sure. I would just look for the outdoor store and climbing stores and forget the ski stores

It probably is. I don't think most stores are like this one in Takayama. But Tak is a base for Northern Alps trips.

They sell even sell a few different types of light to heavy mountaineering boots, telemark boots and various rescue stuff. Its actually pretty nice.

lots of shops around here with safty gear just not big mountain ski gear ie skins and trekkers. beacons shovels etc. A few years ago japanese stores hardly carried shiit its good to see that changing. Now we got to stop tham from climbing straight up the bowl cause its the easy way.

I watched 50 japanese hike up the middle of a chute after a 30 cm plus storm. My fatherinlaw who is and was a guide said that "thats where people climb, yes they know its not the best way but its the fastest". I was shocked there was a ridge an extra 30 mins hike by boot packing but not one person hiked there.

Still looking, I've got my skins coming from home with my beacon, hopefully, shovel, probes, repair kit and all. Just need skis now. I've been skiing Tuas for years. I've skied on K2s but never particularly liked them. I'm pretty light and the Tuas just have this sweet flex and softness to them. Great for soft and chunky, I'm not sure about the heavy wet stuff as I don't get a chance to ski is much where I'm from. I guess I will here won't I?

Oh, and I've picked up my share of bodies out of terrain traps and climbing gullies because..."it was the easiest way up and we didn't have time to go around..." Not fun when they could have just went a really short way around to a safer ridge. Just makes me nuts! But if they weren't stupid, I wouldn't have a job...ok bad joke.

I was on Chilliwack Search and Rescue. In the town of Chilliwack BC.

We were pretty busy. We got probably about 60-70 calls a year. I was lucky enough to get out on probably 30-40 of them per year. It was lots of fun. Helicopter rides all the time to remote places and great people involved on the team. I had some good times.

But there was the downside of course....

I just got my Christmas present today.

I got an SOS F1-ND avalanche beacon. I'm so exited. Now I just need to get some treckers and a probe.

I think I am getting a probe from someone else so and am going to get the treckers very early in the new year. So I will be set very soon.

Yippee. And because my new Fats are 180 I will be set up for backcountry on both my 1080's and Bigstix.

ive had that beason for some time its a great choice. simple to use but you have to get used to the multi searhes and all the beaps.

Bought the wife a barthox so she could search easily without too much thinking. If you set the barthox up right its a great beacon.

The SOS is quailty though again good choice.

BuY Canadain cause we need the money.

Never been up to BC...yet. I keep meaning to but just having too much fun everywhere else. I can see how you'd get pretty busy up there. We don't get much help with the choppers. Only on evacs really. I'm dying here. I guess I'll just have to resign to workout in the rain until it decides it wants to snow this year. It's ok, I could use all the help I can get at this point.

Good to hear I have a good beacon. I am surprised my parents were able to get it without to much problems. I have always used a Pieps and they are probably the hardest to use what with all the new direction finding stuff. It will be interesting though playing with this one. But will have to figure it out before I set foot in the backcountry. Maybe I will play with it in Hokkaido.

As for BC Teledude. Both Fattwins and I will be able to tell you that it is one of the best places on earth for winter sports. I would go out on a limb and even say that it is the best place.