Hey anyone no where I can get some gear for my wee man ? ski or snowboard doesn`t really matter- prefer board but ski would be easier to get I suppose- looked into overseas but shipping is ridiculous- anything online in Japan or other Japanese options- he is only three and we live on a Southern Island so only getting two weeks in this year- second hand is cool as well- Any Ideas?

All the big sports chain stores will have tons of on sale kids wear from last season(s). If you can get there, no probs.

I couldn't find a helmet of quality and size for my 5 yr. old so I bought on line from Snow Shack in the states and got a great deal incl. shipping. Cost 9,000 for www.skihelmets.com top kids reccomendation. Good Luck. \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
3 seems a bit young to be putting kids on the slopes.
If you can walk your ready for the slopes. Most pro skiers and whatnot began skiing when they were 2 or 3. Never to early to do a run or two. Not like your setting them free on the slopes. Just teaching them basic stuff and then handing them over to the daycare for the day.

I agree with elements of both points of view here. It's an individual thing where some/many? kids can enjoy basic lessons/skill learning in a positive environment.

The critical factor is responsible supervision. (I won't say adult supervision coz I've seen too many irresponsible ones). As 0-11 alluded to, young 'uns cannot make the necessary judgements required for safe negotiation of slopes. Being able to rip it up doesn't equal safety awareness. And kids tunnel vision is only the tip of it.

Freaks me out every season to see parents endanger the well being of their own kids and other slope users by slack or non-existant supervision. Last Feb. a mother "watching" her 2 kids toboggan on THE SKI/BOARD area, apologized profusely when I yelled ABUNAI as 1 one of her ferals slid & rolled in front of me and my kid. Too friggin' late when he's impaled and my life is ruined for this and the next 1,000 reincarnations.

By all means teach 'em, but don't leave 'em.

Good lord - I didnt realize a simple request would call my parenting skills into question- but seeing how its brought up- Of course i@m not going to leave him unattended- I dont plan on riding more than a handful of time out of the week - mostly I@ll be walking the bunny slopes trailing behind the wee man - helmet and pads will naturally be worn and as for fun- well my dad did it for me and I`m eternally grateful and judging by the shit eating grin my son had when I stuck him on the end of my longboard this summer he will too

D train - no comments aimed at you. Just generalizing about a real situation, that you will probably witness. Of course it will differ from resort to resort and day to day. This season I'll be trying like hell to avoid weekends. The main reasons not being lift queues, car park hassles etc.(they're damn important) but to reduce the risk of unwelcomed collateral damage. You know "friendly fire" - the erratic scuds, sidewinders and the F.Y.Mama cluster bombs where a whole pack of 'em converges out of control. Hell, it's war out there. Go Wednesday! ;\)