Originally Posted By: RobBright
A cumberland

Quote:

Cumberland Sausages are a type of traditional sausage that originated in the ancient county of Cumberland, England. They are usually very long (up to 50cm), and sold rolled in a flat circular coil. Sometimes they are made shorter, like ordinary British sausages and sometimes they are served in breadcrumbs, like a minced beef crispbake but with sausage (Cumberland) in it instead.

The meat is pork and seasonings are prepared from a variety of spices and herbs, though the flavour palate is commonly dominated by pepper, both black and white, in contrast to the more herb-dominated flavours of sausage varieties such as those from Lincolnshire. There are traditionally no colouring or preservatives added. The crucial thing is that the meat should be chopped, not minced; consequentially the texture is relatively chunky.

cumberland-sausage.jpg

Well there you go. You learn something every day. I saw (and ate) loads of them in South Africa but none in the UK. I just assumed they were South African. I will be in Lincolnshire in April, so I'll keep an eye out for them at Tescos
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

250ml (16 floz) Red Wine Vinegar

1 tbsp Ginger

3 tbsp Pepper - preferable freshly cracked

whack that together and boil in a pan.

in a frying pan, fry some chicken so brown on the outside, add the sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes.

then add a few red peppers, runner beans (ingen), onion roughly chopped, beansprouts.

if sauce too thick, add some water and cover for 5 minutes on a medium/low heat.

then eat!

of course, you can adjust the amount of people to suit taste.