For those married peeps on here, how do you get on with the in-laws? Just looking around me, seems there's big issues with everyone I know. One even said it was ok at first but since they got married, it has deteriorated.

Depends on the people involved and the effort you put in!

If you have good raw material to work with - that is the inlaws are nice people with a genuine desire to get along with the new person in thier childs life, and the new person is a nice person and prepared to make an effort for the inlaws - NO PROBLEM.

My husband gets along with my parents as if they were his own (but better). If I am cranky with him I can ring my Mum, sound off to her, and then she will tell me to kiss and make up because he is a great person in every other way! Dad will play Mr Handyman because hubby does not have those skills. And Hubby and Dad will have a few beers and play some pool together like best mates.

Unfortunately Hubby's parents have a few psych issues, and while they love us, and we love them - the relationship can be difficult at times. It is a lot of hard work. And sometimes no matter how wonderful and loving you are toward them - it is not returned as you would expect. If is more like the parent child relationship is reversed.

Mental issues aside - if you go into a relationship aware that the parents are likely to want to take a slightly parent-like role with you, and you are prepared to suck it up and be the "good" son in law for the sake of the relationship - all should be smooth as silk! Give them more respect than they ask for, and they will do the same for you.

Still very early on for us, but I get on well with BPGs parents. Like her, they are very laid back, and we have had no probs yet. Although we live a long way away. Like Mamabear said, if you put in the effort, I think there shouldn't be much more than the occasional probs that are bound to arise - usually concerning boundaries I think.

I get on with mine like a house on fire. They have helped me so much here. We are over there a few times a week, so I'll miss em when I go home and it's going to hurt to kids to not see them, but they're kueen to come to OZ.. So it could work out for everyone..