Japan trip in March - Furano - Niseko - Nagano

Originally Posted By: thursday.
dun forget the used undies vending machines.

You know, in all the times I've been in Tokyo, I've never seen a used underwear vending machine - only the new underwear vending machines. Not like you can't just go to the burusera to get your fix of perverse whatnot though...

There's a good fugu restaurant in Tsukiji... I don't know the name of it, but it's near the Hongwanji (Buddhist temple). If you take the subway, walk past the Hongwanji, take a right and walk a bit. It's on the left. The building is brown and there are pictures of fugu on the storefront. If you reach the big blue bridge (Harumi-bashi), you've gone too far. I'm sure there are many fugu places, but that's the better of the two I've been to. Fugu is transparent, crunchy, and virtually flavorless when raw - there are better fish out there for sashimi. It's better cooked and seasoned, but then why go on the ride?
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello peoples,

Ive been getting my scottish snowboarding on - not really too shabby really! Some of the best snow ive seen in a good while (in scotland anyway).

I have changed my plans after discussing my trip with my travel buddy - instead of doing the Furano binge, i am just going to head straight to Niseko - Hirafu and do 10days (ish) there before heading to Tokyo - booked up for Bamboo lodge - cheap as chips so we will have plenty money for Sashimi.

Ive read on posts here that 10 days in grand Hirafu isnt too long - we will probably go for a 2 week pass and that should cover lots of good fun times - the accomidation is so cheap that a day trip to Furano isnt out of the question - but i think the commute betwixt furano and niseko is a bit of a farse!!

Is anyone going to be about in Niseko from the 18th of March? Local tour guide willing to be paid in banter and beer? Holla!!

Check out the homelands

my travel buddy shep

spa0124aj3.jpg

sun down glenshee

spa0125gd8.jpg

me on the glas maol poma

spa0136ad1.jpg

Hmmm, i can see the pics in my window, uploaded them with imageshack. Ill look into the overseas section - there are 3 pics - pretty shoddy quality as i took them on my phone, my camera is out of action after a crazy holiday in spain:)

everyone except the sun at the shee is showing for me!!

How was Glas Maol? I've had some pretty decent days over there. Although I hate those bloody Tows!! I spend half my time getting dragged up the mountain!! I reckon I'd be better now as my overall boarding has improved beyond belief (relatively speaking of course).

pomas are the bain of my snowboarding existance!! You use more energy getting up the hill than you do going down!! can't wait for more snow, my folks live about half way between the deen and the lecht and they had some snow a couple days ago!! sweeet - p.s. hotel in niseko is booked! Canny wait min!

oh and glas maol was alright, a bit too icey to be good, but the lift had been busted for a few days so at least it was unridden. Its not to bad a poma in the glenn schheeeme of things seeing as it doesnt but your balls or lift you right off the ground.

Al,

Roppongi's a dump, full of shysters - avoid at all costs!!

My advice would be not to forget Yokohama - great place and very close to Tokyo - take in some older bits of Tokyo (Asakusa) and maximise mountain time, after all that's why you are coming here.

One final piece of advice - when Japanese ask you where you are from and you reply 'Scotland', don't get offended when they ask 'is that near London...?'

Enjoy!

Al, for Nagano, about the only place that has something close to a nightlife is Hakuba. And it's perfect because it is also one of the best ski areas in the prefecture. My favorite resort is Goryu/47, and other good options are Happoone and Tsugaike Kogen, which offers a convenient backcountry-buddy system (basically, if you have a pal, you can go backcountry). Nozawa Onsen is also a nice resort but the nightlife is pretty limited, although somewhat offset by nice hot springs (onsen).

I personally don't recommend fugu; it's overpriced and has no taste (when I pointed this out to my finacee, she replied: "yeah but with good ponzu sauce, it's really good". Gimme the sauce only and spare me the cost of the fish!). As previously mentioned, head to the Tsukiji fish market if you want the freshest fish. It opens quite early in the morning so it can make a good activity when you get out of the clubs (or love hotel if you get lucky)!

I don't know how long you'll stay in Tokyo but at the end of March, beginning of April, the cherry blossom trees are in bloom and hordes of Japanese have picnics under the trees, drinking beer and sake until late at night. It's a very Japanese experience and quite fun actually.

Another interesting place if you want to see traditional Japan is to jump on the train and go to Nikko, the burial place of one of Japan's most famous shogun. Huge trees, magnificent temples, it is quite atmospheric.

Depending on how long you plan in staying in Japan, I recommend you to try to visit different cities, they all have their own vibes. I live in Osaka and I would need a VERY GOOD job offer to live in Tokyo, but that's just me. People are a little warmer here (they call them the Latin Japanese) and it is not too big, with beautiful mountains around. It's fairly close to Kyoto and Nara, traditional cities in every sense of the word, but certainly good for visits.

Cheers for all the advice... My current plan is looking like 10 days in Niseko then a week on the mainland - weekend in Tokyo, then nip about on the train to a few places from there. My Japanese mate here recommended sorting out a rail pass before i left. Apparently you cant get the same deals in japan or something - that way we can make an assesment from niseko and tokyo about where to go and what to do with our remaining days. It would be great to get hosed under cherry blossom trees - i would love to travel all around but unfortunatly i only have 3 weeks off work. If its as good as im hoping (or better)

ill be back soon to check out more of it.

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
Al,

One final piece of advice - when Japanese ask you where you are from and you reply 'Scotland', don't get offended when they ask 'is that near London...?'

London??? i think ive heard of that? isnt it just south of dundee?

haha, yeah thats right mate, although with Dundee being the paradise it is, I've never had time to check out whats south of it!! ;\)

RE Yokohama, if you have time during the day then sure a look round chinatown and sakuragicho is pretty cool but don't come down for the night life, Yokohama is dead!! Shite nightlife mate, best stick to Tokyo for night time frolics!!