was just wondering when was Japan's worst season on record and when did the resorts open on average that year? I just saw that the US/Canada/Europe are getting snowed under at the moment. Just checked back home and saw that they had 100-200 cm at the upper elevations and expecting another 100-150cm above 1800m in the next couple of days. Was also wondering if there is some kind of inverse correlation between snow depths in Japan and the rest of the world since I noticed that great seasons in Japans usually (not always)saw weak seasons in Europe. Anybody going abroad to get their fix in the next few days?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
No staying here. In general great seasons everywhere cant happen magine that luck with the warming factor. The season will come and lets judge it after the fact.
Fattietwins, what is this warming factor you're talking about? Global warming? If so, I've got a scientific thing or two to say about that:

First, this is an obviously very general term. Temperatures averaged around the globe will very likely rise through the next century. However, local temperatures weather conditions will be very difficult to predict...it may likely get colder and more snowy in some areas of the world as the trend of "global warming" continues.

Second, climate, temperature, and sea level change are a natural fact. These phenomena are cyclic, and occur on various time scales. The shortest timescale for major climate/sea level changes is on the order of thousands of years. With this in mind, predicting snowfalls at specific resorts/countries/reigons based on global climate change (even if we are currently on a warming trend) from season to season is a bit ludicrous. Even higher global average snowfall totals everywhere in the world wouldn't be so far-fetched considering the timescale of climate change, even if it is man-made. (Read: we can stil hope! \:\) )

A final note, some aspect of the aforementioned average temperature rise can almost certainly be attributed to anthropomorphic activity (specifically the 200 year release of a mass of oxidized carbon into the atmosphere that took mother nature millions of years to reduce). This is a sad, sad fact.

Wow, seems this post is generating a combination of inside jokes and more serious input. I just saw that it started snowing at some resorts, so hopefully I jinxed the lack of snow and the season will be a great one in the end. Mother nature does seem to have its own cycles (I do not think the previous ice ages were due to a lack of cow farts) and some parts of the world do seem to be related more than people might think. For example I believe that the frequency of cyclones in the atlantic seems to be inversely correlated with the level of precipitations in sub-saharan africa in the months preceding the cyclone season (or something like that confused.gif ). Does not mean one explains the other, but there are some interesting linkages. If earth has roughly the same average temperature all the time, does it mean that an increase in temperature in one area has somehow to be compensated by a decrease somewhere else, and could it apply to snowfalls? I guess I am just going off on a tangent here! Anyway, hopefully better tech will help us lessen the impact (hybrid cars is a start. Anybody got a Prius?). So what's up with the Jellyfish anyway? Some kind of nature based observation/predictions?

Ill stick with what Ive seen. I have seen a bunch of seasons as a skier. We have had some pretty good seasons here in a row. Are we due for a bad one or a so so one, maybe. should I have added warming without backing it up yes and no. I believe its Canadas year for a big one, Japan I will wait and never give up too much hope.

Fact is if the season is crap I will ski anyways. I will ski the next season and then the next one after that and on and on.

Silly, silly networks. Just wrote a eloquent little reply that just got erased. Anywho, I agree with ya, FattieTwins, I'll be skiing no matter what climatology has to say about it, as long as there's snow and I have knees.

The global warming thing is all about awareness, it just bothers the hell out of me when people make big statements without knowing the scientific perspective (I'm not referring to anybody on SnowJapan). The press does this all the time, and they should all be smacked for it.

Weird year, summer has been cool which was a blessing given the problems Japan's electric grid has had over that period, but now a mild early winter with a typhoon coming near Tokyo in early december... Strange days indeed. Snow will have to come sooner or later. At this stage looks like most resorts will not be able to open for the 13th unless we get really lucky. Hope I am wrong.

XXX - thanks mate - glad to be back. Thanks for asking - Neck is fine - doc cleared me for snowboarding so that's good. My jet skiing season was non existant though, so I'm looking forward to a really good snowboarding season. Not sure how much I'll get to go though - seems Momo is with child and going every weekend without her might make me feel a little guilty. Finally snowed up here night before last so thats good but the only prediction I have is that my Japanese buds say that cool summers = mild winters. Last year they were right - Summer 2002 was cool, and we had a mild (though fun) winter. This year - summer was down right cold, could have thought it was April lasting 5 months. So if my buds are right, then this winter will be even milder than last years.

I hope they're wrong...