I was just reading that Karuizawa post, where the poster was asking about the place and worried about snow when they are planning to go there in a week or so and wondering...

There must be a lot of problems arising from this late snow, don't you think? You know people cancelling, people showing up and being angry at no snow etc etc. Small hotels and places won't be taking out lots of insurance, and nothing can protect them from angry hordes. It must be a stressful time for some people.

\:\(

Why indeed?

But some people do get angry.

Especially if they have paid lots of money for a ski holiday but can't ski.

Anyway, without my first post getting picked apart word-for-word and analysed ;\) , my point was just that there must be quite a few problems going on and stressful times for people relying on the snow business.

Sorry. Didn't mean to seem to pick apart your post.

But people do tend to think that the resorts are at blame if the snow is no good or non-existent.

And kind of what Fattwins said. It is only December 2nd. It's so early to be making predictions about the winter. Hell it's not even winter yet.

I dont know about all resorts, but from my experience those signing up for pre-mid december sliding are made well aware of the risks of no show snow. The risks are reflected in the prices.

Some may still get angry with small hotels, pensions, etc., but then, there will always be tossers.

In the past, when i've stayed at pensions, I've actually had pension owners call up and advise against coming at christmas due to lack of good snow, offering full refunds. I've never accepted, but thought it a mighty grand gesture.

Canada is having a great year buy only half to 1/4 of the terrain is open. An opening date is usally a course or 3. Lets stop comparing a crazy early start last year to this year. I skied all of Cortina trees last year in Dec that should not be possible til mid jan.

Fattwins, I'm not comparing to last year. I'm not moaning either. So while I take your point and you are correct, I'm saying summat different here \:D All I'm just saying is...

Nozawa and Nisek planned to open Nov 23rd, along with a fair few other resorts. It's Dec 2nd. No snow and so won't be opening for at least a few days.

Ok I hear you. Im just saying that at this point it doesnt effect the bottom line too much.

In my years of sking goin on 12 now, (wow it goes fast) resorts only 50% of the time hit the opening day. sometimes they open then close just to say they did it. That effects the bottom line cause they open at a loss. This year a lot of canadain and american resorts have opened early then quickly shutdown for the week. Why cause there is no money in it. YOu cant turn the lifts unless you can make some money or justify the loss.

Big guy Im so ready to see the snow fall.