Like the title says, I'm going to Zao Onsen for 3 days next month. Just a friendly invitation to anyone who's in the area to join up and do some riding. We'll be riding on the 2nd and 3rd.

If you can't go but know the area (looks over at Samurai), feel free to offer any tips on some good runs or areas to try out.

Happy New Year!

• SnowJapan Admin

Squampton I have edited out your email address from the post as it is probably best not to post in public. I have also swithed PMs on for your account so you should now be able to use them - but feel free to discuss it on here!

Thanks and happy new year to you too.

Hope to see your pics if you take any!

I'll be riding tue-fri.

Paradise holds the best snow, but is short and gets old quick. But- it is the main artery/transfer to/from both sides of the mountain.

Ropeways #1,2; kurohime lift, and the map's right side provide decent terrain.

The opposite side of the mountain- Hahnenkamm area (#37)- also has some good highspeed quads with decent steeps. The map isn't up to date, there are other chairs there and Hahkenkamm is actually a double.

Stay away from the Chuo area back by chair #34. It's flat and useless. However, #12 is your transfer back to paradise from hahnenkamm area.

chuo ropeway, however, will get you anywhere you wish to start from the base. Getting back to chuo base, strangely enough, takes some planning.

I hope that's confusing enough.

We had a great time, the conditions were excellent for that time of year; we arrived the day after a nice dump. Met up with Samurai on the second day, who volunteered as our tour guide for a few hours \:\)

Posted a few pics here: http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_section.php?userid=squampton&userGallery=170

The main street is right at the lifts, and there are plenty of shops, restaurants, and onsens within a few minutes walk.

I guess the only drawback to Zao is the number of lifts - there's too many! You can find some nice long runs, but many of them are pretty short. I'm planning on going back in February when the trees fill in, should be fun!