A new Setting Journals feature, "Why do we do it?", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-14.html

"November in Japan is when most of the snow resorts either open or prepare to open for the white season. It is a time when employees of snow resorts realize that the 'nine-to-five, Monday-Friday' routine they and their families have enjoyed over the past six months is about to be replaced by more of a 24/7 'on-call' one. With each successive November in the industry, (though I have found myself higher up the learning curve), it has not been any easier to 'get back into the groove'."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-14.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

Hey how do wages at resorts like yours rate? Average? Below? Above? People satisfied with what they get? I suppose there are some perks as well. What are your perks? Free skiing, food?

Blair.

How flexible is the staffing situation at your resort? When do the winter staff arrive? And if the season starts 2 weeks late, can you delay them all turning up? How does all that work?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Well it has been quite a month here at ARAI with the weather all over the place, new staff arriving, and guests coming out of the woodwork looking for accommodation and snow.

To cover briefly the points in the mail below:

rach:

Each staff member tends to grumble about their own pet peeve, some grumble more than others, and some even complain about the cold if you can believe it.

grungy-gonads:

Most companies in my opinion make a mistake at some point.

It really comes down to the culture at the company as to whether that company then wishes

to discuss their mistakes openly in a forum such as this one.

In my case, I trust that you can understand if I do not proceed any further with your question.

cal:

Wages at the resort depend on a number of variables such as if an employee has a first aid qualification or not. Some employees are satisfied while others aren't, but those that are unhappy tend to stick it out to enjoy the snow.

As for my perks, well I get to communicate with a wide range of people, including the readers of this forum.

The staff meals are not free but subsidized.

cute-as-a-button:

There are approximately 150 full time staff members at ARAI backed by almost 300 seasonal workers.

klingon:

This year the snows were late, so regular work for the winter workers, who arrive in waves from late November through Mid December, was pushed back by approximately ten days.

For that staff that wanted to work, work was found. Those that wanted to take time off were welcome to it, and others delayed their arrival to the resort.

Dear Blair,

I have to say that I am rather impressed with your handling of questions posted.

Each year I look for one special snowboarding experience in Japan or otherwise and have heard good things about ARAI. I would therefore grateful for your view as to what ARAI has to offer (please don't refer me to the official website). Money is not an issue here and I look forward to hearing your view.

Bestest,

Siren

Ah, I can help you out there, Siren. Was there in Easter this year with the zeroman and had a great time. It's good to hear you say that money is not an issue, cos it's on the pricey side but I found it was well worth it. The facilities are tip-top deluxe. That includes both the hotel and the ski facilities.

Most of the staff there are quite good English speakers so gaijins can get around quite easily.

The commute from Tokyo one negative as it's quite far and it's best to take the Shinkansen to Nagano and time the arrival for their shuttle bus service from there. Otherwise, you'll have to switch trains at Nagano and take a slow train to Arai and then take the shuttle bus up to the resort and that takes much longer. One option, if you don't want to catch an early train, is to stay the night at Nagano.

Because they get dumped with lots of snow, I found this enabled them to stay open much longer into the Spring season with surprisingly good quality snow to slide on as a result of a very thick base. I was skiing in 2m thick snow in late April and the air temp. was a very warm 15C! Ever tried T-Shirt skiing?

Also, one very convenient thing for gaijins, especially those abroad, is that they allow you to book over the internet IN ENGLISH. This obstacle has prevented me from making bookings in many other locations which I would have liked to visit, like Kiroro.

I definitely want to go there again and the only thing stopping me is available holiday time and the many other resorts I still want to try out.

Siren,

markie is correct in that it is a nice resort with unique facilities relative to other J resorts.

However, I am of the strong opinion that the money just isn't worth it unless the snow is not just good, but very good. There are very few interesting groomed runs so when the snow depth is down and the quality poor, you will find yourself riding the same one or two runs for your entire stay. They are short and boring and in some parts narrow. On the flip side, if the snow is deep and of good quality, then be there as it is well worth it. The conditional zones are fantastic, but dont count of them being open. Arai is very very good when it is in good form, but anything less and it is very bad. Of course this depends on what you want from your snow experience and what level of riding your are at.

I should note that the staff are very nice and helpful and make an effort to ensure happy guests.

It is also worth mentioning that they are mega safety orientated to the extent that the term "The Patrol" is used almost in a military sense - just read the Arai now reports. Dont do this, dont sit there, no running, dont talk in class, stop haing fun. It kind of takes the fun out of it. But having said this, safety is important and this is Arai's approach with dealing with snow sport risks.

Go there, just hope that the snow is good and that it doesnt rain.

db/markie,

Thanks for the good info (especially db's notes on the downsides). I have seen pictures of the place and have been eyeing the part where you can hike up (one of the conditional zones?) and a friend of mine (a first-year snowboarder!) keep telling me why I should go there!

Good to hear that they have a shuttle bus from Nagano as I heard that getting there is less than straight forward. If I can get away from work in March (already have plans for Jan and Feb) I may give it a try.

(Markie I haven't tried snowboarding in T-shirt but have been wanting to do that. This year I think I will have a chance to try that - some Japanese friends have promised to take me to Hakkoda for spring ski in late April!)

Thanks again db/markie.