Thought i would start a thread about helmet cams.

So all the info is in one place.

1. Sport-Cam

I found this one on ebay and thought you guys might like to know about it.

sport-cam.co.uk/products.asp?cat=51

It is pretty cheap and i have no idea about the quality.

They are selling them for AU$140 on ebay.

Here is the recording device.

sport-cam.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=h230&cat=49

I have no idea about this either.

If you are using a video camera to record the output of camera, then you will need to be able to record from AV inputs to the camcorder.

3. SportzShot

sportzshot.com

They look pretty good. Around US$250.

Which one are you getting?

The pics look good as do the specs.

Are you recording to a camcorder?

Cant wait to see your stuff you shoot on it.

Originally Posted By: kokodoko
3. SportzShot

sportzshot.com

They look pretty good. Around US$250.
Which one are you getting?
The pics look good as do the specs.

Are you recording to a camcorder?
Cant wait to see your stuff you shoot on it.

I got the top model 3 or 4 years ago for a Japanese snowboard pro. He liked it so I got another one (top model again) for FT. You record to a camcorder which you keep in your pack.

Aha, i thought FT had one.

I found this interesting little number.

5. Oregon Scientific ATC-2K

The manual is here:

www2.oregonscientific.com/assets/manuals2/AT18_manual_US.pdf

everything is integrated into this handy little number.

Records to 2gig sd card. (60 mins at 640x480, 30 fps. )

This is not a professional unit and would be good for posting your finished film to youtube or SJ.

The thing i like about this is that everything is integrated - batteries, sd card, even a microphone.

and it is waterproof to 3 meters underwater.

A good no fuss amateur unit.

Just a note: to keep it recording long time you need to keep the battery warm, means close to your body. Or at least have a 2nd battery that you keep warm. That counts for all batteries, digital cameras too.

PS: The ATC-2K looks cool and is easy to setup. At below US$130 really cheap too. I may get one too.

too true, kraut. The ATC-2k manual recommends using lithium batteries instead of the normal ones(??) in cold temps..

(i think it was this one. doh! )

I have seen video of the atc-2k used in surfing!!

It is so cheap.

6 Tony Hawk Helmet Cam

digiblue.com/hawk/

This has only a 32 mb sd card and i dont know if you can use a 2gig sd card in it.

Resolution is 320x240 and i think it may capture at 15 fps. (afaik)

However i think it is US$50 as far as i can tell.

Reviewers claim that the pictures are awful - jerky, and the sound is out of synch.. thumbsdown.gif

Originally Posted By: kokodoko
The ATC-2k manual recommends using lithium batteries instead of the normal ones(??) in cold temps..

Be very careful about that. A normal single use dry cell has 1.5V. A normal Li cell has 3.6V

You will need a special cell with 1.5V. I doubt the ATC has a voltage regulator to bring the 7.2V from the 2 cells down to 3.0V. The ATC manual does not mention anything about it.

Both Duracell and Eveready sell AA-battery-sized Lithium cells that have an internal voltage regulator so they output the correct 1.5 volts and can be used interchangably in most devices using "regular" alkaline batteries of similar size.

They are more expensive than alkalines, but will last up to 4x longer than alkalines in most electronic devices like cameras or media players.

The battery manufacturers literature says that they work better at lower temperatures than alkalines, but no specific data as to how much better is given.

I have another one Im testing called Gopro I'll post some results when I back home, its pretty good from what i ve tried all ready.

comes with a water proof casing very light and small. looks kinda funny and I think more affordable.

also use lithium all the time. its much better lasting and lighter.

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Both Duracell and Eveready sell AA-battery-sized Lithium cells that have an internal voltage regulator so they output the correct 1.5 volts and can be used interchangably in most devices using "regular" alkaline batteries of similar size.

They are more expensive than alkalines, but will last up to 4x longer than alkalines in most electronic devices like cameras or media players.

The battery manufacturers literature says that they work better at lower temperatures than alkalines, but no specific data as to how much better is given.

They are typically US$3-4 per pcs. and they are NOT rechargeable. Still better then a spoiled day with no cam at all.

I could only find ENERGIZER Ultimate Lithium for AAA size. Anyway, you have have more or other brands in Japan.
 Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
I could only find ENERGIZER Ultimate Lithium for AAA size.

Those are the most common ones. Probably not necessary if the camera has a seperate unit where the batteries are inside the jacket or pack with only the CCD on the helmet, but for the Oregon Scientific unit where the whole thing is on the head, these are probably the safest bet.

Could also try taping one of those disposable hand warmers on top of the camera unit also.

Here is some footage from the ATC-2K and few tips for using it on a mountain bike. It is very bouncy but i think that is because he is riding on rough tracks. Snow would be smoother, i hope \:\)

chrisploch.blogspot.com/

7. GoPro Digital Hero 3 Camera

This is the one that our intrepid test pilot ian is trying out. I thought i might post a few specs in the meantime.

Quote:

The waterproof, shockproof GoPro Digital Hero 3 Camera allows you to create your own 3 Megapixel quality action sports videos or take still shots in situations that would destroy other digital cameras..If you want to extend your recording time, expand the existing 16MB memory with a 2GB SD card (not included) and record up to an hour of footage with sound. The Digital Hero Camera's comfortable neoprene strap system allows you to mount your camera on your arm, a paddle, or a bike handle bar. the waterproof Digital Hero 3 works down to 100ft under the water.

Price is about US$140

url is goprocamera.com/

• 1 month later...
 Originally Posted By: thursday.
would that unbalance your helmet and tilt your head to the side making you look like Quasemodo.

You need a light weight one and fix it well. Either on the top, or on the side. If on the side then the helmet should be fit well.

I did some videos just holding the camcorder. That's OK too, but really not convenient.

It all depends how much you record. I would do it a few times a year. Not really worthwhile to buy a helmcam, which will then be outdated next season.