I am planning a ski trip to Niseko in early March and was hopeing for some guidence from those in the know. Not knowing anyone that has skied in Japan I am flying blind so some local advice would prove invaluable while I plan my trip. Any help is greatly appreciated. Please correct me if my impressions of the area are wrong.

First, I chose this region for the quality of snow, smaller resorts, less hype and a better cultural experience. I have grown up staying away from the mega resorts in North America and hope to enjoy that same low key vibe on this trip. I don`t want a western vacation.

Seven days max in the area. Where should I base to get the most flavor. Food, drink, sites, lodging, baths ect. I would like to ski all three resorts using public transport to get around if possible. Any insight or recommendations for lodging would be the most valuable info. Favorite haunts, must see`s, must do`s and last but not least, you favorite stash. I promise I won`t share. Really, I won`t.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

That`s alot of questions. Thanks again. smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rhino92
I don`t want a western vacation.

Jeff,
From a Western perspective Niseko is Japan - the stuff you will find is different to what you have a home (mostly). However from a Japanese perspective Nisko has been overrun by Westerners and is very western....
I, personally, don't think you will have any "it is too western" issues - we had great fun! mmmmm yummm love the pickled sea urchins!

You can get an all mountain pass and ride all three resorts crossing at the peak or getting a bus at the base - the local boys will have more info than me.

In April things were closing, resturants, lifts etc - but I think in March you should be right - plenty to choose from. Also have a bus that goes into Kutchan (was also stopped in April when I was there last)-so public transport is no real problem.

As far as a base - with clear roads in April we strolled around Niseko from the Upper Village right to the lower village - it is not THAT big - being anywhere in Niseko is fine (Upper Village is REALLY good for access to the slopes, Middle village and bottom of the Upper will give you masses of resturants..). But nothing is far.
 Originally Posted By: rhino92
First, I chose this region for the quality of snow, smaller resorts, less hype and a better cultural experience.

First I thought this was a prank post.

Jeff,
March is great, fewer people, more snow. Base yourself in upper Hirafu. For 7 days, I'd choose a hotel with an onsen to soak your destroyed body after the day's skiing and readiness for the nightas.

In fact for 7 days in March I have booked an Hotel with an onsen.

Jeff

As Mamabear said, from a Japanese perspective, Niseko is the most "westernised" ski town in Japan. From my perspective it's still very Japanese and very different from an American mountain. Even more so in March.

The western/Australian influx has brought lots of development and better quality apartments to the village. You will hear a lot of aussie accents , though. Again, in comparison to the US resorts,despite the development, Hirafu has a "funky" and different feel.

Snow in March - I've only spent time in Niseko in early March in 2005 and 2007 ( other years Dec/Jan/Feb). Two of the best powder weeks I've had there - but the locals seemed in both years to be a bit surprised that the conditions weren't more "spring like".

Agree with Thursday that Upper Hirafu (or middle hirafu) is probably best for a 7 day trip. If you don't have transport, try to be near the Hirafu Shuttle route.

The SnowJapan "Places to Stay" Guide is a good place to start.

Pretty well all the big players(except the Hotels) in the Hirafu accomodation market are represented here. You can easily follow the links to their websites. Hotels are on the map.

As a generality..

Hotels

Ski in ski out

Have in house onsens

Have small rooms

Are central

Are "smokey"

Apartments ( look for "luxury, western")

Are western, modern

Variable as to location

Mostly not ski in ski out but close

Close to bars restaurants etc

Pensions

Are japanese style lodges - B&B's

Cheaper

More basic rooms and sometimes shared bathrooms

Loved by some for the "lodgy" feel

I'd avoid packages with dinner included - there are some great restaurants and bars scattered throughout the village. It's not expensive - way cheaper than a US ski resort.

The skiing - all 3(really 4) resorts are connected at the top. unless the weather is bad you won't need buses etc to access them. There are good shuttles however.

Phones - unless you have a 3G phone , it won't work in Japan.

Tipping - there is no tipping in Japan. Service is amazing.

Money - no ATM's in Hirafu - bring some cash, but most places take credit cards.

You'll really enjoy it. Good luck.

Great wrap up bellavista - not sure there is anything else the boy will need to know!

January will be my hubby and older kids 3rd trip in a year to Niseko - my 2nd, sort of gives you an idea of how much we love the place, huh?

For a more Japanese experience I'd look for a Japanese run pension. Plenty to choose from still (even if many are selling up now the property prices are booming). The Japanese owners are usually great and can assist in giving a more Japanese experience. I personally think the hotels, although generally well located, are overpriced for what you get. Staying in western apartments will not give you any sort of Japanese experience but some of them sure are damn nice.

Still if you chose this area because of "less hype" it's just that the hype has obviously yet to reach the US. Niseko is just about the most hyped and westernised of all Japan's 600 or so ski resorts. There's no doubt that the snow is truly awesome. The terrain is not extreme in anyone's imagination but this place does produce more powder days than most US resorts could ever dream of. And unlike Colorado resorts you don't have to ski up at breathless altitudes. Niseko lies between only 820 and 4292ft. At the base of the mountain we average more than 500 inches of snow per season and obviously far more up high. Some coastal areas near here even receive around 250 inches each year.

So certainly you should get some good snow but you will also find that you'll be able to get by without a word of Japanese (not that you should want to)and that the place is very westernised. It's no mega resort yet though, so you should find it somewhat low key but there are probably better places in Japan if that is truly what you are looking for.

And I'm definitely not telling you about my favourite stash's!! Too many people seem to know about them already...

What great info. Thanks a bunch. So the area is not as unspoiled as I had thought. Being a Yank it does not surprise me that I somehow fell for the hype. It sounds like Feb. might be a better bet for fresh snow but more crowds, pensions for better cultural immersion with better prices and if I plan right no need for a car.

One more question. So whats the next hidden gem in Japan?

Jeff

It's still hidden Rhino.

escondido!

Maybe take a day trip to Rusutsu from Niseko. Lots of companies organise it and it is a similar size to Niseko but without the crowds; also without the accommodation options, restaurants, transport facilities etc.