Will be stopping off in Taipei for a night on my way to Bali next week and wandering if anyone has any advice on decent places to while away the hours at? Arrive at 11pm and leave 10am next day, so prob just going to hit the night markets that I have heard a lot about then a couple of bars. Anyone got any first hand suggestions? Thanks.

the night market is where its at. Although you in particular might not me enthused about "snake alley".

Great food, even (especially) if you are a vegetarian. Even the 7-11s there sell vegan fake tuna-salad onigiri.

But Tainan is way nicer than Taipei.

Cheers boys,

Certainly looking forward to filling my boots with the food there. As long as it doesn't leave me sat in the toilet for the rest of the airplane journey to Bali the next day!!

Oyuki- Yeah, I read a bit about the Snake Alley place. May be interesting to see but not sure how much of it I'll be able to stomach.

Looking forward to it all anyway.

Originally Posted By: ger
Spent a couple nights in Taiwan. Seemed kind of featureless and shabby but great food.

Not a bad summary. If you're staying in Taipei, the Grand Hotel (Japanese people call it the Maruyama) is like a massive over-the-top Chinese palace but is not that expensive.

If you can get away, the scenery around Taroko Gorge is very spectacular. Mountains rising up to 2000m and beyond only a few km from the sea. The gorge itself is very steep and very narrow.