Transceiver etc needed around Niseko resort area?

Hi all,

Am planning trip to Niseko with my wife. My wife is an excellent skier with me being fairly competent on the soft stuff, but definitely not hero status (never been deeper that knee high).

I imagine we will be skiing any 'off-piste' nook and cranny we can find within or next to the resort, and of course even the designated ungroomed runs, depending on the state they will be in. Going back country on hikes isn't our thing as I have no avi experience. My wife has done a number of half day search and rescue sessions and skied heaps of off-piste in Europe, always with guides who have done the risk assessment.

Having never been to Niseko, it is hard to know what to plan for. Naturally, we will be wanting to ski as much powder as possible, and I am wondering to what extent we need to kit up with avi gear. We have nothing as yet, so it would be quite an expense to buy everything for the weeks skiing.

Should we be expecting to kit up with avi gear with the type of skiing I have mentioned (off-piste on and around resort) or will it be over-kill? Needless to say, we aren't the types to tempt fate and duck ropes into forbidden areas.

If we need it, is it a rent-able item (transceiver, shovel & probe)?

Thanks for any info,

Petter.

Welcome Petter,

Within the resort boundaries I would say no.

Outside the resort boundaries I would say yes, although many don't.

It is possible to rent avvy equipment in Hirafu (the main village of Niseko).

There are also companies that offer 'guided' backcountry experiences in and around Mt Annupuri.

As with any purchase 'caveat emptor' as many of the 'guides' are not UIAGM certified guides but experienced instructors with avalanche certifications (or not) and local knowledge of the area.

Pietro on the whole avalanche danger is Niseko is relatively low and when it is high the gates accessing the frontcountry will be closed. Most of the inbounds off-piste (where you don't need to go through gates) has very low avalanche danger. That said they can and do happen occasionally although the only fatalities I have ever heard about have happened in areas that are now totally off limits. If you are skiing with your wife, who sounds reasonably experienced, then she should know what to look out for and you'll have no problems. Meaning I wouldn't worry about getting all the gear.

Great. Thanks for the answers.

Relieved to know I don't have to stress around researching more gear, before the trip.

Re Guides: Should I book this before the trip to guarantee a place or will I always be able to find a company for the next day when in Niseko?

Have found the 3 schools here on SJ (Niseko Base Snowsports, Niseko Higashiyama Snow School and SAS Snowsports) or are there a whole host I should look into?

Cheers!