• No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Originally Posted By: spook
 Originally Posted By: samurai
If I wasn't married, I'd still be smoking chron and skiing 150 days a year.

is it just me, or does this sound pretty idyllic to anyone else on here?
i would like to think i could somehow combine the two

smoking is pretty bad for you spook !

i know. i feel semi-'hungover' the next morning, it's been irritating my throat lately and it kind of makes me grumpy at random times.,

but i love putting on some tunes and just monging out. and watchin funny movies. and eating. and thinking about how good it is that i didn't have to sign a pre-nup

Originally Posted By: Indo

Bobby, you never know. And even if you did, when is a child going to listen anyway!

I am certainly not saying I see a need for them in my life...but with four sons - I am sure one of them has to make a serious life choice guided by his "less intellegent and lower placed brain" rather than his God given academically gifted brain!!

At this stage we, personally, are geared to USE UP our slowly aquiring assests living the life of snow-bums in 5 star accomodations - there will be nix to leave them!! LOL

But I do see the sense in using pre-nups where the 'family' assets are considerable, and one kid losing them would not go down well! Anyone here gonna put thier hand up to being THAT wealthy... hmmm.... no... thought not! Us either!

As far as the movie goes... I LOVE HELEN HUNT!!! I really liked this movie...but TWISTER is my all time fave .... "COW!"

I used to be neutral on this issue but I am starting to think more and more that I am against pre-nups. Not because they are unromantic but because I think it's actually the courts job to decide what someone gets in a divorce. I dont like the idea of people just being able to circumvent that system just cos they got a bit of paper signed. Things, people and circumstances change.

Example: 28 year old woman falls in love with man. Later it turns out he is rich, big inheritance etc though woman didnt know that. Before marriage, guy insists on pre-nup. she signs it cos shes in love and doesnt expect to split up etc. 12 years later he is cheating on her and treating her bad so she wants a divorce. however, she signed a bit of paper 12 years ago so now she cant get any money from him and has to go out and try to support herself or remarry at 40. (to make it simpler lets imagine no kids involved). She then has to live in worse conditions than she is used to, and may never be able to find a suitable partner at that age for remarrying.

You can of course argue she was dumb to sign the pre-nup but I would say thats harsh and the courts should be able to overrule or ignore the prenup.

this gold-digging post and response appeared on craigs list:

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy. I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?

Here are my questions specifically:

* Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms

* What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings

* Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)?

* Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there?

* Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?

* How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY

Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

THE ANSWER

Dear Pers-431649184:

I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a cr@ppy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful" as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way. Classic "pump and dump." I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

Ohh YUK!

That is just shocking!!

I know intellectually that women like that exist, but I find it very hard to see the living proof written down like that.

I married my man before he had achieved anything more than finishing High School and riding his pushbike across the Nullabor...he wasa diamond in the rough - but I knew he was a diamond, and I worked hard to polish him up! 18 years later and he is shiny shiny shiny. That is the way it is supposed to be. Loving someone for who they are not what they have in thier bank account!!