Newbie Heading 2 Naeba This Weekend - 1st time snowboarding

So, my girlfriend is a hardcore snowboarder. Me, I'm a fun in the sun type of guy having grown up in Cuba and Florida. No, I don't speak spanish and I am the average white guy. Novice skater, more into urban assault-type bmx/mountain bike riding. Oh yeah, and I rollerblade.

I purchased my boots and bindings tonight. K2 T1 in pimp white (38,000 Yen at Spotaka in Osaka) and '07 Burton Custom Bindings also in white (12,000 at Spotaka in Osaka). They are running clearances on '07 Gear and 15% off all snowboard gear (not sure when it ends).

I picked up some goggles at the Oakley outlet near Nagashima resort this past weekend (15,000 Yen). Nice black frame with polarized amber lens.

Now, I need a board. I am somewhere between 5' 11 and 6'0 ft. I am considering the Burton Seven and the GNU Rider Choice. Another possible option is Moss Boards, made here in Japan.

We are heading to Naeba this weekend for two full days, staying over night at Prince Hotel and then driving to her mother's home late on the 2nd day. Her mother lives in the Niigata area.

Anyway, I live in Ashiya which is close to Osaka. I am familiar with Spotaka, but if anyone has any other shop recommendations I would appreciated. I also know where the Burton Flagship Store is (I think it just opened last month).

Samui,

I used to live in Ashiya till this year. If your looking for some snowboard shops I know of Jiro Mondo Sports, which is just south of Daimaru in Sannomiya towards Harbor Land. I dont board so dont really know where those stores are but I remember another one being on Flower Road (?) which heads up to Shin Kobe on the right. Maybe Rach knows some more stores?? ICI is expensive (sometimes has good deals) and is close to Sentagai in Sannomiya as well. More of a ski store but has tons of snowboard gear as well.

I think Spotaka is your best bet. I went to Jiro Mondo a month ago and I thought it was expensive, whereas Spotaka has good gear at a range of different prices.

Ashiya--what a nice place to live. I looked at buying a pretty sweet (but used) condo in Mikage. Unfortunately, it's too far from my business at the moment.

Thank you for the additional shop recommendations.

I ended up purchasing at Spotaka. They are running a sale of 15% off all new 08 Boards and 50-70% off 07 Boards (only a few 158cm or above).

Anyway, I went to Spotaka last night for some more gear. I ended up purchasing a Burton Custom Wide 162cm (white top, but it also comes in Black). Total price was 70,967 Yen.

It was about $80 to 100 more than US price, but I did get two coupons each worth 2,500 Yen which I used later on to purchase some gloves.

Now, I have to go back again tonight. The damn shop closes at 8pm. Not much time to look at all the boards, especially when you are trying to decipher the secret Japanese code in reviewing the specifications and then finding they do not have the size board you need. Gomen nasai, ni des.

I need to get head gear tonight. Debating on the padded foam or going full helmet. I guess I will start a new thread to see the opinions.

As a beginner, you don't have any 'real needs' in terms of high-end board. They are stiff as f*** and unsuitable for learning until you have been riding for about 3 years.

Do yourself a favor to your butt and wallet (you are spending WAY too much, by the way, except on the bindings) and get a softer entry or mid-level model.

totally agree with Oyuki.

Until I'm a bit better (I hope by the end of this season) I won't be upgrading my gear. I reckon the best thing to spend your dough on is boots, make sure they are comfortable and fit properly, don't skimp on the money here!

Boots make a massive difference to a beginner. You can't do much learning when you can't feel your feet!! And I found that there was massive variation in all the pairs that I tried on - and not necessarily better as the $$ went upwards either...all depends on what suits YOUR foot.

I hired a board first trip - stiff stiff stiff - I didn't know any better, and tried my best, but really felt out of control. Second trip I hired a performance board - had more flex and I could actually FEEL the mountain under my feet...made a HUGE difference to the learning curve.

The board I bought also has a fair bit of flex - and I love my ride!

According to the website board shoppers and the experienced boarders I know, I should have no problem flexing the Burton Custom. I am 87-88kg at 178-179cm.

To Oyuki: Thanks for the advice regarding my spending. I will be sure to tell my accountant that she is fired.

Great advice Oyuki!

One member of a couple teaching the other is never a really solid foundation - short fuses and frustration come into play. Instructors are paid to be patient with you, and have learnt ALL the tricks of the trade to get you riding fast.

We ALWAYS get privates. And will keep doing so.

Our boys get a private small group lesson and head straight to the park nowdays - but they STILL get lessons!

You want your girlfriend meeting up with you and saying "WOW! Honey - you are picking this up so fast!!!" rather than spending the whole day with you and saying "why wont you just listen to what I am telling you!".

I checked into Snowboarding Lessons last night. I hope to find a lesson in English at Naeba. I e-mailed one family business, but waiting for a response. Otherwise, I will have to wait until going to Niseko the weekend of December 21st. They have a snowboard school available. I was thinking private was the way to go. How many hours should I do on the first private lesson?

There is no need to go overboard. take a 2 hour lesson, and then work on what you have been taught the rest of the day. Consiterng your sk8 background, you should be turning by the end of 2 hours, and that pretty much frees you up to go explore any green run on the hill, and maybe do a run with your grrrl.

Af far as private versus group, as you don't speak Japanese, you might get an English-speaking instructor all you yourself anyways,if one is available. It is a pain for instructors to have to explain everything twice, it cuts down on actual riding time for the students. At the hills I've worked at, thats usually been the case. English-speakers get a private lesson for the price of a normal one, just so they doen't have to mix groups and waste time.

And really, even in a group esson, it depends a lot on how competent the instrucor is.

Thanks for the advice. I did not get a chance to have a lesson this past weekend. I will have to wait for the official lesson at Niseko Highasiyama on the 22nd. I have tentatively signed up for a full day lesson (4 hours, there is a 1.5hour lunch break) in English.

But, I got some pointers from my sidekick. I was stopping by the 2nd run and I was turning left (natural footed) by the 3rd. My right turns are hit and miss.

Of course, my first wipe out, on the first run and I twisted my knee a little. I was not used to falling and I think my body kind of freaked out and got me all twisted inside. Knee is still a little sore, but am going to take it easy until the 22nd.

I noticed that the 162w Custom did seem very big once strapped to my feet. I am hoping to break it in with a few more hours of ride time.

two points, if i may be so bold

a 162 is a big board for anybody when they are trying to learn. But it will serve you well once you get the hang of it.

the number one problem beginners make, and this is for pretty much 90% all beginners (and some intermediates) is that they don't put enough weight on their front foot when they turn.

as soon as the nose drops downhill and you pick up speed, eveyone does the same mistake and freaks out and sits back on their rear leg, creating a very akward stance for turning.

i won't get into it here, but the instructor should be able to show you how to turn without much effort or muscle needed.

good luck, and take care of the knees

Ah, now that you mentioned, I was sitting on my rear leg. The obvious really does need to be pointed out sometimes.

As for board size, I am really second guessing my choice. The Custom feels like a little too much board for me right now. I can get that thing accelerating in a blink of an eye. I am wondering when I can start to flex it more (between 5' 11 and 6' 0 and between 86kg and 88kg without gear).

I am wondering if I should borrow a board with a softer flex and shorter length. Will it make the learning process quicker?

Dunno about the learning process TBH. I am not THAT far in front of you when it comes to that!!

I just feel that a mid size board is better for learning, it'll give you the best of both worlds, a little length for stability but short enough to be manouverable and (fairly) easy to turn.

I'm heavier than you as well, which brings its probs when in any powder but my board works well on the groomers.

I'm on a Motive 157.

Bought it as a start up package 2 years ago, but the snow back home aint so great so I've only used it about 10 times. I reckon I'll get a better board for next year, this will be a year of learning!! \:D

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
the number one problem beginners make, and this is for pretty much 90% all beginners (and some intermediates) is that they don't put enough weight on their front foot when they turn.

as soon as the nose drops downhill and you pick up speed, eveyone does the same mistake and freaks out and sits back on their rear leg, creating a very akward stance for turning.

i won't get into it here, but the instructor should be able to show you how to turn without much effort or muscle needed.

good luck, and take care of the knees

A gnarly dude by the name of Lloyd at Thredbo broke through my 'beginner brain barrier' by saying "just remember it is a FRONT wheel drive - a FRONT wheel drive - I said a FRONT wheel drive!!!" Now the first thing I do when I launch and feel the rise of panic is repeat in my head (I hope it is IN my head!!!) Front Wheel Drive, Front wheel drive - commit - no fear - commit to the turn - front wheel drive....
 Originally Posted By: Samui Kitsune
Ah, now that you mentioned, I was sitting on my rear leg. The obvious really does need to be pointed out sometimes.

As for board size, I am really second guessing my choice. The Custom feels like a little too much board for me right now. I can get that thing accelerating in a blink of an eye. I am wondering when I can start to flex it more (between 5' 11 and 6' 0 and between 86kg and 88kg without gear).

I am wondering if I should borrow a board with a softer flex and shorter length. Will it make the learning process quicker?

That is exactly why lessons are so good. There were no lessons when i started riding, and it was all trial and error. Now i see kids who take two days of lessons turning at a level that took me a months or more to get to.

And yeah, the custom is an advanced board, it meant to flex when screaming down an ungroomed run or in a pipe, not a bunny hill.

It is more board than you need. Which is not to say that you can't use it, it just won't be as forgiving as a beginner board would be. You will just have to adpt and make do. It won't kill you, but it will handle a lot more stiffly than a regular beginner board.

Borrowing another board may make it a little easier on you, but if you plan on getting out a lot and getting use out of the custom, i don't reccommend switching up. I say get used to your own board first, and what it will and won't do for you.

But above all, take lessons. That will make the whole proccess easier. And wieght that front leg!