a Teddy Bear named Mohammed

from BBC:

Quote:

UK teacher jailed over teddy row

A British teacher has been found guilty in Sudan of insulting religion after she allowed her primary school class to name a teddy bear Muhammad.

The school's director, Robert Boulos, told the AP news agency: "It's a very fair verdict, she could have had six months and lashes and a fine, and she only got 15 days and deportation."

So what, we are supposed to take this country and their religion seriously now? These guys saved Mohammed from dire humiliation? I really think some people do not have any brain in their head.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
So what, we are supposed to take this country and their religion seriously now? These guys saved Mohammed from dire humiliation? I really think some people do not have any brain in their head.

you're mincing two separate issues here. nobody takes the sudan seriously in regards to its human rights record. ie darfur!!!!
but there is no reason to belittle islam or its millions upon millions of devote, passive, and tolerant followers for this.
come on man, get a grip.

what's so wrong with calling a bear mohammed? i understand that it is the name of the founder of islam and a prophet of god, but half the men i've met in arab nations are called mohammed. it seems to be a commonly used name

From what a friend was telling me, there is a whole war going inside Islam itself around the name of the Prophet ie: Muhammad.

Shia Muslims can use the name to name their children and also speak the name of the Prophet freely. In Sunni belief it is a sin to use the name of the prophet without a reason and also to use it to name your kids etc. I was told that the now battling Sunni and Shia factions in Iraq tend to take the matter more seriously than the teddy bear. If a Shia Muslim named Muhammad is captured by Sunni is being executed on the spot for being an insult towards the Prophet since he is using His name to call himself.

I guess in christianity it is similar - in Latin America you get guys called Jesus, but you never get that in Europe.

Wonder what would happen if the UK government started shooting all tourists named Jesus at passport control...

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I guess in christianity it is similar - in Latin America you get guys called Jesus, but you never get that in Europe.

Wonder what would happen if the UK government started shooting all tourists named Jesus at passport control...

I think thats cos any kid that was called Jesus would get the piss ripped out of him for the whole of his life!!! Can you imagine if you went to school with a kid called Jesus? He would need to be hard as f#@k cos he would be tormented all through school!!

I don't get it though, Mohammed was a prophet, right? Its not as if he was ACTUALLY God, so he was also just a simple human being, right?

I'm all for freedom of religion (if u want 1) and understand that countries have different values than my own, but come on!!! Common sense needs to be used at some point in their lives. To send her to jail for allowing her pupils to call the teddy Mohammed is off the wall.

It is off the wall to us - yes!

I think it is completely BIZARRE!

However as a teacher in that country she should have known about what she was going into...I can not tell you how many times I checked my bubblegum fanatic kids backpacks for the the offending article before we landed in Singapore - there is NO WAY we were going to inadvertently do soemthing wrong because of our cultural ignorance.

I would think a more rational response would be to ask the teacher to stop, change the name of the bear, and apologise to the offended for her ignorance...if she persisted - sure punish her.

But this is THIER culture and country - the justice metered out is thiers - and ignorance of the law or cultural law is no excuse.

Ok .. I just re read my own post.

I sound like I have a split personality.

Ohhh they are wrong...but ohhh she is wrong...

LOL!

Hope you get my point in this...while I do NOT agree with thier actions - I do understand that "when in Rome..."