thumbsup.gif tsondaboy

Let us know how the system works here.

I did mine in the UK. There were private reviews at the end of the first and second years. At the end of the 3rd year was a public presentation, and a defence before one internal and one external examiner. My defence went smooth as silk, with only two trivial corrections to be made to the thesis.

The harder you work, the luckier you get. I worked 70 hours per week for three years, but I'm very slow.

If you've done the work, the PhD will come.

Thanks for the thread guys, you make me blush. blush.gif

But I still haven't got the Phd.

There are 2 stages in my university in order to get it:

1) The midterm defense

2) the final defense

1) in the mid term defence you have 35 minutes (+15 for questions) to present your Phd study in fron of all faculty members. You have to get at least 10 votes from them in order to pass it. Once you pass it you can proseed to write your Phd thesis and submit it by mid December. If you dont pass it then you can apply again next semester (spring).

2) after you submit the Phd thesis, then you have to present it again with no time limitation in questions in front of 4-6 professors selected by your supervising professor.

I just cleared stage 1, so now at least I can dream of snowboarding this season, but the way till getting my Phd is still long.

Well done Tsonda! Great that you can relax and enjoy the winter now!

Isn't there another name for the defense in the UK? A Latin one?

Who else on here is studying? I thought there were a few people?

I'm doing a masters in teaching. Not nearly as interesting or impressive as Tsondaboy but quite a bit of work at the mo as I've got exams next week.

Big-Will wrote:

Do we have any other PhD people here?

I have a PhD in Organic Chemistry!! I did it in England, where we had to pass the viva voce at the end of year one, and then a second one with an external professor at the end. We also had to do a public presentation about our research (colloquium). Writing up that thesis was the hardest part....!

Well done Tsondaboy, if you do the work, and know your field, you shouldnt have too many problems with the rest of your PhD!

I have written a paper in the past, so writing the thesis should not be a problem (I hope). Although I could use some proofreading cause my scientific English are still not that good. I have all the material gathered, related papers studies etc, so I just need to put everything together.

I recon that the hardest part is going to be the final defense, because I am still not confident about some of my results.

Good luck with your exams too Jane. \:\)

" Although I could use some proofreading cause my scientific English are still not that good. "

--->

"Although I could use some proofreading because my scientific English is still not that good"

Do I get the job? \:\)

"1) in the mid term defence you have 35 minutes (+15 for questions) to present your Phd study in fron of all faculty members. You have to get at least 10 votes from them in order to pass it. Once you pass it you can proseed to write your Phd thesis and submit it by mid December. If you dont pass it then you can apply again next semester (spring).

I recon that the hardest part is going to be the final defense, because I am still not confident about some of my results."

but he missed these. \:D