We are a family of 6 heading back to Niseko this Jan.

Hubby and 2 x teen boys were there in Jan 07 for a few days, with all of us (me and the 2 primary age boys makes 6)taking a 10 day trip in early April 07.

Loved it so much we booked for 16 full on snow days (plus travel either side and a week in Tokyo) for us and 2 other families. That's great. But Hubby is now OUT - an anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction a couple of weeks ago rules him out for not only THIS coming northern winter but also southern winter 08!!!! Just flaming lucky that this newbie boarder made 2 trips to Thredbo this past winter to get some skills happening - as I am now the only responsible parent to be able to go on mountain with our 4 kids. Not bad for an old duck who saw snow for the first time in April in Niseko! See ya CAN teach an old duck new tricks!!

So - any suggestions what to do with hubby? He is gonna be bored bored bored... Is there anything at all for the injured to do to keep them from going insane with jealousy?

You could hire a car and do a road trip. We went to Lake Toya, Lake Shikotsu, Noboribetsu Onsen (overdeveloped, but kind of kitschy), etc. in December once and it was great. Hokkaido's easily the best place in Japan for a driving holiday.

That is an interesting thought....It never occured to me to hire a car and drive ourselves - primarily due to lack of snow driving experience - I mean driving in Niseko in January is hardly the same as driving at Thredbo is it? At least you can SEE the road 99.9% of the time...

But it is certainly worth considering ..."InvalidBear" would be thrilled!

Just not so sure I can drag the bear cubs away from the slopes...??LOL

His Injuredness was contemplating jumping on a train from Sapporo to Tokyo and perhaps even further on and leaving us to it for a week....but I am not sure how happy I am about him travelling alone - our teen bearcubs are our translation and interpretation team...

You could put a gun to his head and put the old crock out of his misery.

Driving in Japan is easy. Snow is no more difficult than a wet gravel road.

I'd let him go and get on with having fun with your children.

(There are quite a disproportionate number of (ex-) WA people here. I'm one.)

Soubriquet, Bizarrely enough we ran into the family we bought our current house from in Niseko...LOL!!! Sandgropper central huh?

Thursday, yeah - we are flying from and to Tokyo as a family - not only cheaper, a darn site easier to organize. We tried to book on the Cassiopea Tokyo to Sapporo (talk about impossible to do from outside the country!). But 'His Injuredness is a train trip fanatic, so it will be more for the train expereince than the physical relocation... go figure - me? it would be the plane!!

And I am sure he will be giving the Onsens a work out - we didn't do them last time (the whole naked in front of strangers thing just freaks me out)and there was the great big draw of the "sloping white" - however he did an Onsen/Shiatsu massage and Japanese lunch thing in Melbourne on Grand Final Weekend with a mate and LOVED it...so he will surely go searching for the authentic comparable expereince!

Great suggestions guys, keep them coming!!

Ruffian - my eldest has one more year left at school - and there are 4 altogether... I think we have done our bit for population growth!! LOL!! Besides someone has to WATCH the bear cubs to make sure they don't find themselves in trouble... Believe it or not I actually had to pull babybear (8) out of chest deep snow (his chest)at Thredbo, when he took a wrong turn and ended up in a black run and then tried to escape through the tree's... I think His Injuredness is gonna be on his own a LOT!

YES, we were looking at the snowmobiles...sound great! Thanks for the reminder Fattwins!

Couldn't possibly be a love for the region fattwins? I know it must be difficult for you to understand why anyone would want to leave hakkers for hoks lol.gif

I'll be sure to let them know you're still thinking of them though.

LOL! The Teen Bearcubs would be all over that! In fact - they LOOK like adults and me-thinks the January Trip "The Mens Trip" involved a level of underage drinking that would have this responsible mother freaking out!!

REAAALLLYYYY keen on the snowmobile stuff - but also keen on the snowcat trip - the little bear cubs would LOVE to do that with thier Dad!!

Thanks for brilliant suggestions!