where to go in kyoto besides the shrines?

My sisters are coming to visit in early December and will be spending two days in Kyoto.

Hopefully if I'm not working I'll come along with them.

What do you localz recommend visiting? Any good onsens? nature stuff? good (but not too pricey) places to eat? and of course they'll get to gion etc... After a couple of temples they'll be happy to see other things...

They're stupidly staying in the miyako hotel, they didn't want to sleep on futons! Oh well, it's their loss..... If I go I'll take a room in a ryokan somewhere, if anyone has any nice recs that's also appreciated. Thanks.

CB you wanna come have dinner with us or something?

i suggest you don't go to Kyoto. If they don't want to see temples, shrines, and sleep on a futon, maybe Kyoto isn't for them.

For nature, Ohara, north-Eat of Kyoto is very nice, as well as the steam train that runs out of Arashi-yama.

There are some onsens, but i have never visited the,m. Actually, if i remeber correctly, there is one by Jakko-in, in Ohara.

However, if they are not there to see old Japanese culture, then really there is not much reason to visit Kyoto. Futons, Shojin/Kaiseki Ryori, and temples. If your sisters are not into that, take them to Karuizawa where they can pretend to be around nature while they shop.

Thanks guys.

Don't get me wrong, they definitely very into the culture and temples, but being a little, er, larger than me they're not as physically comfy sleeping on futons as I am (one sister came here before and didn't sleep very well when on the floor at my place. Of course they can layer 2 futons for extra comfort and I'm still trying to talk them into that but we'll see....

So yes, they want to visit temples but you can definitely get all shrined-out if you see too many of them!

Thanks for the countryside tips. A ride into the hills sounds nice.

(They wouldn't be interested in Karuizawa apart from wanting to try and walk in the hills.)

CB, I think the dates will be 9/10/11 December staying overnight on 9/10. Get in touch when you have time, and see if we can hook up.

BP's wedding on the 9th? Where is it? if I'm over that way I might even be able to gatecrash!!!!

10th evening could work. 11th at some point will be heading back to Tokyo.

They eat meat, I eat seafood....

thanks for the tips....

Sorry Sunrise, I've just checked and it's gone. I have a big box of books that I don't need anymore and that I try to convince people to take stuff from when they come over and I guess someone must have taken it. It's a good read though - might be worth trying to borrow one if you can.

I still have Moscow and Peru if anyone is interested though!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sunrise and all you other guys.

My favorite spot in Kyoto is Arashiyama, though don't usually go there in winter. The trees will be a bit bare by early Dec but going for a walk up the hill and looking down on the Hozugawa would still be nice on a sunny day.

Hi Sunrise, I'm doing good thanks. Hope to see you up in Hakuba sometime this year. Arashiyama is great, definately one of my favorite places in Japan, used to love swimming in the Hozugawa back in the day. Even been kyaking down there with Fattwins once.