I posted this on epicski so hopefully there are different people here...anyways

So I graduated college in May and am currently between jobs. As I have been searching for jobs I came across a job and it got me thinking. There are 2 things that I have always wanted to do before I am tied down: Live in Japan and be a ski bum. I think now is the best time to do these and I figured maybe I can do both of these at the same time. I am a Japanese citizen but have lived in America for most of my life. I can speak Japanese, but cannot read very much kanji.

Does anyone have experience working at a ski resort in Japan as a instructor or something? I'm talking about working full time at the ski resort and living on the mountain. I have never given lessons, but have been a ski patroller for 3 years.

Does anyone have experience working outside of a resort and just skiing on your time off? I have a degree in Molecular Biology and a minor in business (I know, kinda hard to get a job if I don't live there and read/write well).

I really want to make this happen and have been talking to a few ski school type places that specifically hire english speaking people. The only two things holding me back are the fact that most positions are already taken and money. I cannot afford to pay to do this so I need enough money to cover plane tickets, ski passes, food, and lodging.

If you have ANY input, please post. Even general experiences in Japan would be helpful. Thanks

• SnowJapan Admin

thanks, your website is awesome. Unfortunately I have read all of that. I applied to every job on there, too. Do you think it's too little too late?

oh, and i thought i posted this in the OT. please move it if it is the wrong place.

you could try active ski school based in Hyogo ken - near (ish) Osakas

You'll have to do a net search maybe in Japanese as I've tried and failed in English - They are a good set-up - i have done five seasons there teaching skis to JHS and HS kids- You'll have a good time if you go for it but I wouldn't expect to save much - The skiing down there is actually very verey good for a few moths of the year- good luck !

yes, it is a little late, but some places are still hiring. So far, i might have opportunities in Hakuba47, Evergreen Outdoor center (hakuba), SAS (Niseko), Gala Yuzawa, and Naeba ski academy.

I am a little overwhelmed with what to do. It seems like there are so many other places that I could be applying to, but no one has their e-mail addresses on their websites!

I'm looking for a mountain with the best ski area as well as the best atmosphere. I would rather work somewhere where most people are Japanese because one of the reasons I want to go is to get better at japanese.

Anyone have any input on those places?

Thanks

you party much down at the harbor? love it there \:\)

Any of the above moutains are great. What kind of terrain are you looking for? I've done a season in Niseko and it rocks, incredible snow, good vibe, sweet onsens, and the best night skiing in Japan bar none. There are a couple of Aussies there from what I hear but I was fortunate enough to be there before the invasion ;\)

Hakuba, best area Ive been to. Love everything about it - restaurants, people, snow, terrain, BC, slackcountry, onsens, etc. Aussies are coming here too ;\) But the mountains, resorts in the valley can handle it, whereas I know Niseko cant.

Havent been to Yuzawa, maybe SJ#1 or somebody else could comment. Im sure many of the Tokyo people can also give advice on Naeba too.

Actually...no. I just moved here recently and I live in the suburbs \:\(

I'm looking for some steep terrain and bumps.

Just had an interview with Boobooski.com

they told me that Niseko is almost like Australia...so I don't think I'll be going there.

It seems like Hakuba or Yuzawa are my top 2 choices.

I can't seen to contact anyone...my PM box is not working.

creekboy, where does patrol suck? What's TGR?

My 2 most logical options seem to be Hakuba47/goryu or Gala Yuzawa.

Skiing in the hakuba area seems nicer, but 47/goryu seems decently smaller than Yuzawa. Yuzawa asked me to ski patrol exclusively, which i don't think i want to do...cooler people are elsewhere usually...but it pays the best. At 47/goryu, my main focus would be ski instructor and they said I could probably patrol a day or two a week, which would be nice combo.

What do you guys think?

• 3 weeks later...