Like the look and sound of Iwanai,thats the sort of place I,m after.Not expecting to find an undiscovered Niseko,the path is too well trodden in this region.Just looking for an alternate that a group of mates can have some fun.Even Chisenpurri will probably be a good day out.(day spent on the snow always is).Hey i live in Aussie where i can have fun in a bowl of porridge with a lump in it.Any further comments definitely appreciated.

Best day trips from Niseko would be the Onsens up in Hokkaido. Also Sapporo Kokusai and Teine are options. Teine actually goes off! Have you tried the search function bearshead? There are many threads on other resorts up there which would sufficiently answer your question too \:\) thumbsup.gif

Thanks Creek Boy love the onsens ,kicking back after a big day rox.

Could end up in sapporo at the end of the trip.

Still getting my head round all the options on the site.Very little

that i can find in the resort spotlights.Would a search of some older threads find better results.

was that report on iwanai was from 2002? looks like a fun trip for a day or so if you got bored at hirafu. if they do indeed runs a cat operation from there i'd be in for sure. I've been searching for info on cat operations in hokkaido...not finding a whole lot though.

Anyone got any recommendations that would be a good introduction to cat/bakcountry style tours?

I saw a poster advertising cat tours when I was in Niseko last year. I'm buggered if I can remember where it was. It was a cat with no cab and it mentioned something about being able to see the ocean, so thats what makes me think it's over the Kiroro side.

(not Weiss, thanks thursday)

Was it Otaru ,remember it also and it was offered as a package and was expensive(relatively speaking).

Have found very little on Iwanai and next to nothing that is up to date.Perhaps armed with a name,a taste for something different and a fistful of yen I will just take pot luck when i get to Niseko.Have found some fruitful discoveries in the past with this attitude,both surfing and boarding.