Can someone who has spent a season at Niseko tell me what the weather condition is like there? I keep reading about how it's hardly ever sunny with blue skies. How often do you get days of poor visibility/high winds? If I stay there from mid Dec - end Feb how many decent days you reckon I'd get in?

Thanks~

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i spent a season there - it was slow to start and still sunny-ish until the first week of jan. then the snow just bucketed down and didn't stop for 2 months. i can't remeber exactly how much sun we got, but i reckon we got about a handful of days of sun in 10 weeks.

when we got our first sunny days in late march, i just sat outside in a chair soaking up the warmth. everyone thought i was mental

the more bad weather the better - visibility may be terrible during the day, but from 5pm you can see everything perfectly, even in a blizzard.

bad weather = snow, so the less sun the better in my book.

I'm looking at going WWOOF-ing. That's where you work for a host and in return get free board and food (and maybe a ski pass). I like my days sunny with clear visibility. I did a season in Vail and it was good weather most the time, and snow was good too. Think I got way too spoilt there...

Originally Posted By: Eunice
I'm looking at going WWOOF-ing. That's where you work for a host and in return get free board and food (and maybe a ski pass). I like my days sunny with clear visibility. I did a season in Vail and it was good weather most the time, and snow was good too. Think I got way too spoilt there...

not sure if you will get a season pass there or not...

Im confident that you wont be getting out for first tracks though. Friends who did something similar, at a variety of pensions, hardly ever had first tracks, as they worked first thing in the morning shoveling snow, making beds, cleaning, etc. Doesnt sound like youre there for the powder anyways...its gone by 11am nowadays...
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
not sure if you will get a season pass there or not...

Im confident that you wont be getting out for first tracks though. Friends who did something similar, at a variety of pensions, hardly ever had first tracks, as they worked first thing in the morning shoveling snow, making beds, cleaning, etc. Doesnt sound like youre there for the powder anyways...its gone by 11am nowadays...

i did that.
i didn't get first tracks often but pretty much rode fresh all day if you know where to look.
not sure what it would be like now though... i would say chopped

No snow, unless you count the fake stuff that comes out of a can, in Hong Kong. It's my home town tho.

Maybe I'll look at Nagano... Was also looking at Shiga Kogen, but to me it looks like a whole bunch of little ski fields dumped together.