I'm going over the Europe (first stop England) next week for a month or so and just wondering how strict BA are being with hand baggage of late. On their site they say:

one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag, 56x45x25cm (22x18x10in)

So if I want to take some things with my laptop, then I'll basically have to put the laptop case and the other things in one bigger bag, and take that? A friend said they were moaning about the bag they used which was not full and fit within the size restriction when squashed, but when stretched out to its full size it was a problem.

One of the really annoying thing is how once you are through the gates you are free to buy as much extra stuff as you want and board the plane with (unlimited?) new duty free bags.

The website is quite unclear. Anyone gone through the hassle of checking in recently?

I hate BA, don't fly with tem if I can help it. You should be ok I've had a backpack on as hand luggage when I left Japan last time. Also I had about 6 plastic bags full of clothes because my suitcase was too heavy, it was a MAJOR headache!!