is vegetarianism slowly getting popular here?

asa vegetarian myself, i'm kinda curious about it.

For a while, i was convinced that it did not exist in any form here, exxcept as a fossilized tradition in some buddhist sects.

But recently, i've gotten on Mixi and checked out some of the communities. And was kinda suprised, there are more than a dozen japanese people here that actually are vegetarian! Actually, maybe close to a thousand on Mixi alone.

Plus, i've been seeing more and more vegetarian-friendly foods, like curries that are NOT made from beef tallow and soy ice cream.

A major Ramen chain (Kagetsu) had a vegetarian ramen on themenu for a few months.

Any observations? Good restaurants? recipies?

With a 120+ million in the country even a very small minority can amount to a fair few people.

I'm a reformed vegetarian, why I ever deprived myself of good wholesome animal flesh is now a mystery to me.....never again!

I'm going the other way. Always loved my meat but the past few years it gives me stomach aches and I find it too much. Trying to get the proportion of meat/vege right down but its difficult with the price of veggies out of season here.

Indian Dhal is my favourite food, and its just lentils and onions \:\)

My sister is a veggie and when she came out here we could find nothing for her. She lived on combini sandwiches the whole time.

`wholesome animal flesh'? MAYBE if its free-range... but how much of that do you see here?

i suppose i haven't seen the light.

And thank you for the links, Sunrise. i have a small booklet of Tokyo veg resaurants, but the one site is much more in depth.

As for myself, i have to limit how much i go out to eat. As for the Jr High i work at, i bring my own bento every day, which is kind od a pain sometimes.

But if i need to go out i usually go to

Grazchie (sp? the Italian chain owned by gusto). They have a cheap and delicious vegan tomato spaghetti sauce.

Any soba place. i get veggie Ten-zaru soba, and just trade the regular dipping sauce (with the fish stock) for soy sauce and water. Its actually not bad at all, especially if you add the onions and wasabi.

and most izakayas had enough veggie dishes to make a full meal.