he needs some very heavy drugs to be even functional at certain times. Some of which have some serious side effects. But if he doesn't take them then ssometimes he can't even move \:\(

that's terrible. when i was in NZ, i met a cuople of older blokes (55ish) who were almost crippled by arthritis. they cut out alot of acid food from their diet (citrus, nightshade etc) amongst other things, and the improvements they made were unbelievable. it's hard to believe that fresh citrus fruit could be bad for certain people.

My sister has Rheumatoid arthritis. She's 24. There are hundreds of different types which affect different people at different ages. RA is an immune deficiency disease and can affect any people of any age.

Doesn't sound like that's what you have though. Like BP's friend, sometimes when she wakes up in the morning she can't move at all. Worse in cold weather.

NP, Spook, sorry I can't be more help. You are right to be mistrusting, I don't know much about doctors in Japan (100% of my experience has been good - n=1), but if they're like aussie docs, it's a lottery.

Allergies like the ones your 55ish NZers sound like they have, is a bit uncommon, but it wouldn't hurt to give some dietary manipulation a try. Cut out dairy, citrus, etc., one at a time, so you know which worked. You can always go back to a normal diet if it doesn't work...

Have you tried some omega-3 fish oils?

can you help me get my rocks off soubs?

keba, thanks for the advice. i really don't have any major probs (at this stage... touch wood it doesn't get worse). i'd regard myself as one of the healthier people i know. i walk about 90 minutes each day (to and from work), surf about 4 times a week, eat tons of fresh fruit and veg, and hardly any processed or junk foods. and i drink 2-3L of water a daymy dairy intake is minimal too, as i realised it made my head feel "clooged up" all the time and seemed to make me feel heavy. i guess my only vice is a couple of beers each night.

i'm not really into dietary supplements, but i'll have a look into fish oils. my family love popping all sorts of medication and pills and i don't see any major benefits for them. i'll just stick to a balanced diet and active lifestyle.

cheers all.

I tried Glucosamine once for my knees, but just kept forgetting to take them... go figure. I don't think they did much for me, though, but others rave about the stuff.

Beer, huh? Doesn't sound much like gout, but worth a thought...