i tried harboots once, and it wasn't for me. It reminded me too much of skiing.

I can lay down carves just fine in softboots, and most softboot companies nowadays make boots so stiff they might as well be hardboots.

snowboard hard boots: designed for such. (some have walk/ride setting)

tourig boots: mountaineering boots/ski boots. (walk/ski setting)

Tele boots: long toe flange, for 3-pin ski bindings. (most have walk/ski setting)

The above "setting" refers to the forward-lean being locked or free. (free is great when walking.)

If you are looking for a split-board option, consider any of the above with vibram/rubber soles. (those are nice when hiking.) And after you find a few with the appropriate forward lean, find one that fits.

If you're looking for a splitboard option; start with snowboard hard boots. Then migrate into ski-mountaineering and tele boots. Many ski-mountaineering boots are REALLY soft.

Just find one that fits.

Interesting read guys, thanks for the input. I think I will buy that board and then do a bit of experimenting with bindings and boot set ups to see what suits me best.

Personally I would like to keep the two types of riding seperate ( pow and hardpack ) and have a totally different set up for each.

One more question- Why did the 3 strap binding go out of service?

My mates are forced to make their own now. lol.gif

They seem like a good compromise between a hard and soft boot.

I am thinking about a splitboard for next season for long hikes in pow. For spring conditions /short hikes, soft boots (if you can call malamutes a soft boot \:\) ) are fine. Obviously the problem with them is that they dont get in touring mode, so walking long distances in them is not comfortable. It helps if you completely loosen up all laces above the uncle, but you foot is still locked in a 5 deg forward lean position.

Telemark boots are softer/lighter than touring boots, right?

I've never seen a split board up close before. They must be made well to stay locked together under all that stress. Whats the advantage of them anyway?

That you don’t have to carry the board on your back wile hiking. Also it should be easier to hike up on it, because you slide like on touring skis rather than walking up.

I am not sure if you can use it as skis without the skins, because it is completely asymmetric once split.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy

Telemark boots are softer/lighter than touring boots, right?

Not necessarily. touring boots are designed to be light. That's really the only thing they offer away from ski boots. (well... that and the forward lean adjustments and rubber soles and easily removable liners.)They don't perform any better.

I only prefer mine in camping situations. As a skier, they're pretty soft. But the removable liners are key if you're camping. I would recommend exploring touring boots before exploring tele boots. But I'm not a snowboarder.

I have a 3 buckle scarpa. I wish it were four buckles, but in BC pow, it's fine. I tossed the lace-up liner because it sucked and swapped my race liner between shells. I don't even ride that boot in japan... haven't done any camping.

Scarpa and Garmont are a couple big names. Dynafit is famous for being light and soft. They all have the same soles. I don't know anything about snowboard hard boots.

Anyway, ski-mountaineering/touring boots are actually really comfortable. Especially when buckled lightly and in walk-mode. Many resort employees use them as their on-hill work boot.

I knew scarpa because many skier/telemarker friends use them, it seems that they are popular in Japan. I will check the other 2 you said. I am only size 26 so any boot should be relatively light and not that bulky.

I have Dynafit and they are indeed being light and soft. I like the touring boots. The thing I dislike most about skiing is the boots. I have the best fit I can get but still at the end of the day my feet are relieved.