OK, so I am also planning a trip to Okinawa later in the year. Probably have a week to ferry from island to island with backpacks, maybe tents too, although minshukus might be another option.

Who has been? Is it worth going to the mainland or is it just a mini-Tokyo? I hear the Ishigaki area is nice but Miyako etc. is good too.

Snorkelling, diving, swimming, relaxing and touring some of the cultural sites is our plan for the moment.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Here are some pics of north part of Okinawa.

I visit Sesoko island every year. It's business trip and don't have free time but I'm pretty happy to work there, very beautiful beach, undeveloped nature and friendly local people.

Sesoko Beach

512731269_37a87e613e.jpg

512731261_2e60bcf886.jpg

Sesoko Island

512731271_f4dae50218.jpg

Nakijin Gusuku

512714504_c50d24ec3a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Honto, Ishigaki+Taketojima, and Miyakojima.

Ishigaki was my favourite. Unlike the megavan the bloke in the other thread wants, you can rent a kei or a mama car (vitz, march, etc.) for a few thousand a day. You can get anywhere on the island in an hour or so. Some of the beaches are up there with Thailand/Malaysia.

Like skitrips to Hokkaido, the high price of internal flights mean that its often cheaper to go on a package than to book everything separately yourself.