I'm from Britain, where unless you have a fair bit of money, neither snowboarding nor surfing are the most common activities. I started snowboarding when I came to Japan a few years ago. This summer, I've been thinking of stepping up from my bodyboard to a surfboard. My question is, how similar are snowboarding and surfing? And will my ability in one help my ability in the other?

The turning behaviour of a bodyboard is more similar to a snowboard. Surfboards turn more dynamically - like "carve" turning instead of "slide" turning on the snowboard. The weight bias is toward the rear on a surfboard, and the front can be slid around. I end up having to "unlearn" pivoting turns on the back foot when winter starts.

Surfing is probably more similar to skateboarding.

I'm sure you'll find some fitness/training benefit since the muscles used are about the same, and you'll get some good balance recovery practice.

i would say that they are not as alike as you'd think.

as a surfer, learning to snowboard, i had to let go of driving with my back foot to turn, and instead lean forward with the weight on my front leg. i spent my first morning on a snowboard sliding and falling over every time i tried to set an edge.

as far as surfing and skating go... i reckon i'm a above average surfer but i can barely skate on a flat bit of road. every attempt to do something decent on a skateboard has ended up with me losing a shedload of skin. skating hurts me too much, so i gave up.

if you can already bodyboard at a decent level, the transition to surfing should be ok, because you already know how the ocean works (in terms of sets, water movements, different parts of a breaking wave etc). if you can drop knee, then you already know when to get up on your board.

good luck!

I've been snowboarding for a long time and surfing a lot longer. The transition from surfing to snowboarding wasn't easy. For some people surfing can be a hinderence more than a help when learning to snow board. I'm not sure how you'll go learning the other way round. ie.snowboard to surfing. There are definate similarities, especially when in deep powder. That's why you'll find a lot of surfers chase deeeeep powder all the time.

I think your biggest problem will be learning to take off and get to your feet quickly. once on your feet you should be sweet.

I bought a Carveboard (long skateboard with pump up wheels) last year. It is a blast

Surfing , skateboarding and snow boarding are a lot similar in some ways but very different in others.

For me surfing will always be number one, simply because of the adrenaline/fear factor in big waves.

Good luck

\:\)

ditch the lid, if you're learning in Japan (to surf) the learning curve will be longer b.coz less power, harder to catch & pretty short rides. Just make sure you get a long enough board. try on of those cheap NSP epoxy boards (new 6man) . maybe a 7'6 - 8'0 footer will be enough.

Originally Posted By: XilR8
So... how about snowboarding and skating? Big difference?

i do all three, skate, surf and snow.
in comparing all three the only things they have in common are the bare basics of balance, shifting weight, winding up torso for a spin (as far as i can think of) and probably posture.

but in more detail they are all quite different, in terms of foot placement, temperement - which is obviously affected by terrain, also the weight of the board would also add to their different sensations.

Also surfing requires you to use your upper body when paddling and some instances also considers your breathing.

out of all three sports i would say that surfing the scariest and most unpredictable due to the dependance on conditions, snowboarding is the most fun, skateboarding is the most painful and frustrating.

but they are all great pastimes, so just get out there and go for it!

Snowboarding powder is very similar to surfing the face of a wave. I find that the more I do of one the more I improve the other. Surfing is harder work and has more variables with actually catching the wave. You get a longer ride on the mountain though. Skateboarding just ends up causing injuries.