Is it just me or is there a real increase in strange and violent crimes in Japan over recent years.

Quote:
A teenage Japanese boy has walked into a police station carrying a severed human head and claiming to have killed his mother.

The 17-year-old went to a police station in the town of Aizuwakamatsu, north of Tokyo, carrying the head in a sports bag, Japanese media said.

Japan's Kyodo news agency reported that the body of a woman was later found at the boy's home.

Aizuwakamatsu is located in Fukushima prefecture, some 200km (125 miles) north of Tokyo.

i always wonder about that. to be honest, the violent crimes here have always seemed utterly sick. but i wonder if it is more an issue of media sensationalism. if these are the only crimes the media reports then we get the impression that all crimes in japan are psychotic.

then again maybe it is a repercussion of all the stress and pressure people are under here starting from such an early age coupled with the bottle it all in gambette spirit. when people snap they snap huge.

Seriously though - how many times have you heard of a 17 year old boy walking into a police station in the US, UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Canada, or just about any other modern country? This kind of sick sh%t happens here weekly. The crimes here are BIZZARRO!

Def weird and more grotesque than back home I feel. Anybody agree?

Shooting somebody with a gun has a feel of distance to it and impersonal due to the lack of contact; but to cut off somebody's neck you really have to be one sick puppy \:\(

BTW, when did that happen? Links?

I agree, there is some seriously weird shit going down here. Not that guns and other violent crime is "ok" of course. Question is why so much weirdness?

It goes without saying that weird s#*t happens in Japan, but there is definitely a lot of media oversensationalizing. Things get worse if you only read English-language news sites - they filter the already sensational Japanese news and translate only the most juicy/weird/bizarre/inciteful stories. All the "ordinary" news flies under the radar of most English-language news sources in Japan.