Staff getting "experience" - total waste

I think I remember talk of the staff that are put in the window to graze and don't have much use in a company, something similar.

There's a guy who has been to our office about 8 times in the past month. From a printing company as we are getting a leaflet made up and there needs to be changes etc. Anyway the first time this guy came about this issue this time he brought a new sales guy - obviously quite young. We did the aisatsu and everything and that was it --- I was talking to the main guy that I know well. Anyway, in each of the 7 times that the main guy has come back to the office for me to check things, he has brought this young dude along with him and he just basically stands there looking very proper in his new suit and tie and doesn't speak a word. It is a total waste of time. I can't see what he is getting out of the experience, but I presume he has been assigned to the sales guy I know to get experience in the field or whatever. It just strikes me as being ridiculous that he is being paid to do that and 2 guys have visited my office so many times just to check some spellings and layout.

I think companies make salesmen do that so if they quit the company they dont steal the client too. If they quit, the young guy comes and takes over. I heard this exact thing being talked about at work recently, where we actually get our salesmen to do this.

Seems like salesmen are pretty disloyal, even Japanese ones, from what I hear.

• 4 weeks later...

We had one of these visits today - 2 trainees with the "real" salesman. They said not a word (other than the yoroshikus). 2 hours they were sat there, for most of the time reading the newspaper and drinking coffee. To think all three are getting paid to do that.

Actually I am outside of Kobe, not too far though.

We often get the sales people coming round though. I could swear some of them don't do any sales and just seem to sit down read the paper, drink coffee and chat. Must be part of the ningen kankei.