I was out jogging this evening and it was really quiet - found a new route where hardly any cars pass in the evening.

Anyway I noticed some really cool sounds - the best being the stereo sound of 2 small streams alongside the road. Love the sound of water like that.

The frogs are good too but didn't hear any.

I really love the sound of pigeons doing their purring thing in the morning (except on Sundays).

Other cool nature sounds?

Not into cicadas myself - they mean it is hot.

Agree with you on water, trickling water on a traditional garden in a very quiet location is great.

I live literally at the edge of town, where rice patties meet concrete. Kiji caws rule!!! I love the sound of pheasants in the morning. The frogs were nice last week, however, it snowed above my house last night. don't expect much sounds other than pheasants for the next week or so.

I love the sound of birds, wood pigeons are good yes.

Insects can just shut up (please).

The muffled silence (?) of snow falling is great.

The sound of snow on the ground, yay. Muffled silence is exactly the sound that I thrilled to wake up to when I were a lad.

The miracle winter of 62/63 was the coldest since 1740. I woke on Boxing day to the sound, and it had snowed a foot overnight. The snow lay for a month. There were ice floes in the North Sea. Fantastic.

The silky hiss of powder..

I grew up in Kenilworth, about 5 miles SW of Coventry. I was 10 in 1962. Age has shagged my memory, so I checked something more reliable. This is what the Met Office has to say about the miracle winter.

"The winter of 1962/63 was tobogganing heaven for the nation's children but the cold and snow would offer a challenge of a different kind for just about everyone else. Glasgow had its first white Christmas since 1938 when rain turned to snow as it moved south, and a belt of snow became almost stationary over southern England on Boxing Day. The following day 5cm of snow lay in the Channel Islands, with 30 cm covering much of southern England. The initial effect of this snowfall was to bring transport to a standstill, delay schools opening and force the cancellation of sporting events - but more snow was on the way.

On 29 and 30 December a blizzard across south-west England and Wales left drifts six metres deep which blocked roads and rail routes, left villages cut off and brought down power lines. Thanks to further falls and almost continual near-freezing temperatures, snow was still deep on the ground across much of the country three months later.

In the intervals when snow was not falling, the country simply appeared to freeze solid - January daytime temperatures barely crept above freezing, and night frosts produced a temperature of -16 °C in places as far apart as Gatwick and Eskdalemuir. Freezing fog was a frequent hazard - but the spectacular rime deposits that built up over successive days were a photographer's dream.

January was the month when even the sea froze (out to half a mile from the shore at Herne Bay), the Thames froze right across in places, and ice floes appeared on the river at Tower Bridge. Everywhere birds literally dropped off their perches - killed by the cold and lack of natural food."