well, i wasn't really shopping for skis but was in niseko and found last year's fischer big stix 170cm and 106mm underfoot for only 3man!!! lol.gif

a bit of getting used to after riding the rossi pow airs for a full season but great in the powder.

hey Touque, how do you rate them?

K2 phat luvs cause she wants a slightly lighter ski. Also it is not a twin, so the turning balance on the groomed would be more like a carving ski.

I put bindings on them that are too heavy so they are heavy when riding the lifts. I will now change the binders to something a bit lighter.

what kind of bindings are you taking off your wife's skis?

i just got marker bindings for half price on the big stix cos i didn't want to pay full price for the bindings i wanted and they only had wide brakes for marker in stock (and i wanted them straight away...) - but anyways, my point is, don't suppose they are rossi axial bindings or look p10??? \:D

by the way, why are you playing on the computer on a sunday afternoon? lol.gif

shouldn't you be skiing? our excuse - we've been skiing solidly for the last 8days, so needed to unpack and tidy the apaato... \:D

Jared says:

p.s We are kinda thinking about climbing and skiing some bigish mountains come spring when my brother comes back at the start of april on.

How far are you from Fuji? When do you think a good time to climb it is (for snow)?

We also plan to investigate climbing Iwate-san and Gassan. Any ideas for other climb/skis?

Hey Fattwins,

Tell me more about those skis - I might be interested. Which are good for carving as well - the K2s or the ones you wanted to sell? What's the length? Are they all mountain skis or powder skis? What's the brand/model?

Pocket Rockets Salomons. My wife uses them but the bindings are too heavy and they are not really a true womens ski. She rides on them fine but she wants to try a womens powder ski this ski is the K2 phat luv. The K2 ski is the only true womens fat ski.

Shimba I was at it from the 27th to the 3rd full on for 8 days. got happo in the best conditions I have seen ever. Over my knee and light -8 to -10 some of my best sking ever. Was on one of the first gondolas at 7:40. Tsugaike after that bagged steep chutes and steep trees. Throught the first 2, 20 foot cliffs of the year (camera is being fixed so no pics). But the dam spring weather made some pow days a mixed bag. I head back on thursday night to take an avie course and ski 5 days between the course weekends. Came home to work 3 days and see the inlaws. Thinking of buying a house there also.

Fats - thanks for the info. What length? I did some searching, has good reviews, though I might be better off with something that will carve better. This season I'll be at Rusutsu for 2 weeks and some of that will be off piste, but I'll also be on the groomers. I love carving. Just started to venture a little off piste last year. I'm still a fledgling in powder and would like to do more - managed to finally get some good turns in toward the end last season. Overall ability - reasonably high performance (heh heh, at times), but definitely not expert. Last year at Rusutsu they gave me a pair of Salomon Crossmax (160s for my height/weight). First time I'd ever skied on shaped skis, and I really enjoyed them. They carved great and handled crud nicely - for me to be able to ski on crud the first time in my life they must have, LOL! And despite their heavy weight, (and my fledgling powder abilities) they can float fine in powder, though maybe a lighter ski is better for that?

They'll probably give me some Crossmaxes again this year at Rusutsu, but if I want to get away to other resorts I have to rent skis, so I'm thinking of buying a pair. If not this season then definitely next season.

I imagine I'd be better off with some kind of all mountain ski will carve as well as float rather than a dedicated powder ski. I'd like to get a bit more into powder, not good enough for extreme steeps. For instance, I doubt I'd be able to keep up with you down a mountain.

Some of those reviews on the pockets that I saw on the web say they carve well (though others disagree). Those K2s have a decent sidecut in them. Hmmm, things to think about.

Do you think the PHAT Luv or something like them would be a good ski for my skiing needs and what you can glean off my ability? Or are they more for mainly powder? Looks and sounds like it would do okay for carving.

I'd love to be able to spend more time out there this year, but I probably won't be able to due to too many other things going on. Rusutsu has some nice ungroomed in-gerande runs that are great after a dump, and some other runs that are sneakable and within my abilities. And I'll try to get at least one day in at Niseko again. Last year one of the staff took me there after a big dump on a day off and it was a fantastic day - heh heh, my fledgling attempts at tree runs down Strawberries - lots of stops and lots of face plants - were laughable, I definitely fare better away from the trees, but boy it was fun anyway.

if you are going to buy some skis and they will be your only pair, i wouldn't go for anything too fat. even though some reviews say the fat skis are just as good on the groomed, i think they may be stretching the truth. i did fine in the powder on my pow airs and they are probably only 75ish underfoot. 106 is getting quite a lot fatter... and while they make the powder (especially the heavier stuff) all floaty and nice, they really are clunkers on the groomed. like i said before, i still need to spend more time on them, but for groomers, i would much rather rip around on my "skinnier" skis. \:D ;\)

a mid fat is probably the way to go - in my opinion.

The Pocket Rockets I have are off the market. Sorry but Japan has 5 Phat luvs in the whole countryand they are not the size we want. Look for the Fattwins fire sale next year.

Sunrise if you want to hit up moguls then dont buy fat skis. If you never want to see moguls again then fattish skis are the way to go. look for something with 80mm under the foot. The problem with the wifes skis is not how they ride or turn they carve fine all be it not as much as a regular ski these days. (only mogul skis are straight now). The Phat luvs would and bring to the table a balance like a pair of XXX rossi skis. enough side cut to turn on the groomed and not forward mounted so balance is easier ie turn initiation.

Shimba those skis are like my big boys, toys to have fun on certain days. In the future the next set of skis should be something in the middle ie lbf, xxx, head monster. Those big daddys let you sit back too much, although they are quite fun. I have trouble on the groomers too, you cant miss a turn. PS I mounted my bindings 1cm to the inside that helps with the turns.

hello, all, I'm back from hok. Niseko got progressively worse from the 20th until xmas, then progressively better until I left yesterday. Good stuff, it was.

Shimba, Toque was/is/will be pretty much internet-deprived until next week, but he was raving about his bigstix. Me and another non-SJ poster buddy were salivating over them. Despite his demo bindings, I never put them on, though. Perhaps here in Honshu this month I'll try them out.

Yeah, I totally agree with Fattwins about width/shape and moguls - they don't mix. I used to ski a lot of moguls in the mid/late 90's with long, straight skis, but I've gotten progressively worse once I got into shaped (and now fat shaped skis). Most of it is probably lack of practice, but a lot of it I'm sure is the fatter equipment.

So, yeah, I finally found me a pair of skis...and a pair of bindings...and a new pair of boots. I mentioned a crack in my 5 year old Technica Explosion 8's, and that crack turned into a full-on exploding boot on my second run at niseko. yikes. Nothing like spending 10 man on equipment on an already-spendy vacation.

I'll try to take a pic of the new additions to the quiver:

last year's volkl v-pro 190 (I like em long)

last year's salomon 6-12 bindings (they have some serious natural lift...)

last years lange banshee 105 (perhaps not super stiff, but damn tight)

I wish I were still in Niseko...check out the journal soon... " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

Well crazyski welcome back now its time to see what honshu has to offer.

I figure youll be out and about this weekend I will be doing an avie course for 2 weekends but from tuesday to friday next week Ill be at it pretty hard.

Funny how this season is turning out its like flip flops. Give me a bell when your ready to tour takasu or head to hakuba.

My local K2 dude said there is a release later this month of the new K2s for next year. Will let you know what is coming out and for how much after that.

The dude has the Fujatives,New Pistols and Public Enemies in now.

Good luck with the avie training...since I just blew all my money, I might have to wait for the backcountry gear/education. I'm heading to Iwate this weekend and for sure to Hakuba the weekend of the 31st. The two weekends in between are now free, and I imagine I'll be skiing in Gifu somwheres. We should work something out and head up with Toque.

thanks for the info/advice, folks. lots of food for thought. 2 pairs or more are obviously the ultimate way to go, if affordable, hmmm not sure..... 2 of last seasons cheaper models, perhaps... or carving skis this year and fats next year.... anyway, things to think about. I'm not a mogul skier and never will be, but I'd like to be able to improve my mogul skiing and be able to hit the gentler ones.

Fattwins, when you say 80mm underfoot, you mean width, right? (still catching up on all the jargon).

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:

Fattwins, when you say 80mm underfoot, you mean width, right? (still catching up on all the jargon).
yup, that's what he means. usually, skis are measured with numbers, like this: 113-83-95. This means: largest width at tip-smallest width at waist-largest width at tail (in mm). These happend to be for my new volkl v-pro`s, a great ski in my opinion.

The center width is very important it gives you the most float though the pow or soft stuff. Under your foot means mid ski width as crazyski said.

Crazy I hear Getoh is better send jared or shimba a private they knows the resort. Taht resort averages a 380cm base.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
800 meter cliffed treed lines, I want to huck my meat.
I didn't huck anything when I spent a day on the snow with fattwins, but if you get the chance to do some lines with him then get at it. He’s good fun!

As for wide skis: I did a few nighta runs on danz's brand new gandalf volkl planks. They are fat, twin tips, all the gear. After that experience I can comment with absolutely no authority at all, but that has never stopped me.

So how did danz like those skis. Would love to know? Fixed that sentence it sounded too much like an 800 meter cliff. There are alot of nice 30 to 20 footers around that area db they look like good fun.

When are you hakuba bound again?