Kaena is a natural area preserve, and has been for some time. The State was really lax in enforcing access for a long time, so "locals" (it really isn't the Native Hawaiian population in this instance) have been 4x4-ing and MX-ing out there for years and have become so habituated to it, that they think it is "supposed to be open for them". Metal gates get cut through, pipe barricades get sawn through, and concrete barricades get pushed aside. Recently, public awareness and a pair of giant boulder walls have kept motorized traffic out.

The preserve is for ground-nesting seabirds, Hawaiian monk seals, sea turtles, and certain endangered or rare plants in the area.

MTB, hiking, and fishing are OK. For those who haven't been there, unless you really want to see obscure native zeriflora or harrass the seals and turtles, there are way better places to hike or MTB...

On really big North swell days, there is a big break off the very point by the old lighthouse/marker that doesn't throw a lip until it is 40-feet plus (old measurement). They do tow-in surfing out there when the conditions are that monstrous.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
The State was really lax in enforcing access for a long time, so "locals" (it really isn't the Native Hawaiian population in this instance) have been 4x4-ing and MX-ing out there for years and have become so habituated to it, that they think it is "supposed to be open for them". Metal gates get cut through, pipe barricades get sawn through, and concrete barricades get pushed aside.

Doncha just love it.

I was always amazed at the effort some people would put into accessing these signed, closed areas. The concrete barriers were like expressway center barriers, so something like a skid loader ("Bobcat") or a backhoe would be needed to move them - not the kind of equipment that everyone here has in their front yard. The original pipe gate was 3/8"-walled, 8"-diameter steel pipe, and it looked like someone took one of those K12 saws (like a giant circular saw with a gas chainsaw motor)to it.

Oh yeah, I forgot - during breeding season, you can sometimes see tasty Humpback whales breaching offshore there too.

I always thought Hawaiians were really respectful of the land sea. I've only been there once and stayed in Touristy Waikiki, but that was the impression I got. Kinda bummed (dude ;\) ) to hear that it isn't the case, Hawaii was beautiful!!

Most people here - Native Hawaiian, descendants of immigrants, or recent arrivals - are all very respectful of the land and natural environment, but like everywhere there are always a few bad apples in the bushel basket.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit!

Teddy's is very good. When they first opened they were dire, but once they got their thing dialed-in, they got significantly better.

Mr Wiggles is thinking of "Kua Aina" - there are two here, The original one in Haleiwa and another in Honolulu. Heck! There are twelve in Japan! I ate at the one in Aoyama when there were only seven in Japan... The burgers at Kua Aina in Japan are better than Teddy's, but the ones in Hawaii are not as good. Most noticably, the workmanship and care that goes into the burgers in Japan is about 200% better than the ones minimum-wage surfer kids produce here.

Dang! Wipe the yodare off the keyboard... Now I know what I want for dinner!

The town one is in Ward Center, so it's quicker to get to unless you happen to be out at Kaena point harassing the wildlife or ripping up the native vegetation... lol.gif

Seriously, the parking is much better than the 3 or 4 stalls out in front of the Haleiwa location.

Have you been to "Pizza Bob's" in Haleiwa?

Supposedly Billabong intends to keep the manufacturing here in Hawaii and the mainland distrubution warehouse in CA as-is. Nice that there is still something "Made in the USA" (or at least "made in a 1st. world country") in this age of "internationaization" (in other words, "exporting jobs") where virtually everything is made in the PRC.

Anyone been out to Laniakea beach to watch the sea turtles come ashore? Apparently the local shark population has discovered the turtles too:

Ezorisu_15.JPG

That's the head of a shark taking a bite from the rear hindquarter of a big turtle in the middle of the picture. The photo was taken at the instant of the bite, so blood hasn't flooded the water yet. Note the proximity of the surfers at the break. Thanks to Professor Fabio for the pic!

• 1 month later...

Any fans or non-fans of "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Duane Chapman?

Filming for his TV show was just put on hold by A&E Networks due to issues surrounding Chapman's use of racially-charged rhetoric in a recently publicized tape of a conversation between himself and his son.

Here is a news story for further information, but just do a websearch for more info.

I heard part of the recording on the radio this morning, and he was WAY out of line.

Cold again last night, but no precipitable moisture at that elevation, so no new snow. Can't wait for the SuperFerry to start the Big Island run so we on Oahu can take our cars and gear over to the BI and go and ride the volcano with impunity (area "off limits" to rental cars - like that ever stopped us before).

• 4 months later...

For those former Hawaii peeps:

Aloha Airlines is no more. Today (31 March 2008 in Hawaii) will mark the end of their passenger service. Young Brothers is in negotiation to purchase their air cargo division. Aloha filed for bankruptcy protection for the second time in less than a year citing rising fuel costs and predatory fare competition incited by Mesa Airlines/Go! Airlines.

• 2 weeks later...

More Hawaii News:

Kirk Lankford found guilty of murder in the second degree in the death of Watanabe Masumi, a Japanese national from Sado-shima. If you haven't heard anything about this case, Lankford was a pest-control company employee who was suspected of abducting a timid Japanese visitor from a small North Shore community, murdering her, and dumping her body. Her remains have never been found. This did receive some news time in Japan last year when the case initially broke.

Now, he is convicted.

Here's the report from the local newspaper.