Japanese phrases you have particular trouble with

One I find difficult* to deal with is "osewa ni narimasu". The literal translation seems to show that you feel some debt to the other person, but Japanese people seem to throw it around without really feeling that.. more just a polite way.

I have also often been asked how you'd say that in English and it often has me stumped - especially in those cases where the speaker doesn't really mean it 'heartily' lol.gif

(* or is that easy?)

I normally hear 'osewa ni narimasu' at work.

it is used when some related company (client/supplier/printer) etc phones up. I guess it would translate semantically into 'OK, I know who you are' or 'thanks for your ongoing co-operation' etc. Literally it means 'you are looking after me' but as you say it get bandied around too much to mean that semantically.

Another similar one is 'otsukaresama' - Im not sure that one is meant literally normally. In English we say 'see you' even without any intention to see them again which is similar.

I find these phrases to be quite easy to use actually. Just fit them in here and there. Trying to say what it is in English is a complete nightmare. When I try and do that I usually get a blank look, a pause, then a "nihongo muzukashii desu ne" (curious when in fact the point I was trying to get across was the fact that the English is in this case is more difficult lol.gif )

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
ii kagen.

depending on how its used, it can be like `smarten up!` or `just right`.
ii kagen ni shinasai!
(that's enoguh!)

My 3 yo son has taken a liking to this one! His kindy teacher obviously says it quiet often!